Monday, March 7, 2011

a celebration of sorts

My dogs are so cutesie.  sometimes.  I came out of the shower and discovered them all cuddly like this on my bed.  Sweet little love muffins.  You probably wonder how I could ever talk bad about them when they look so precious and innocent.  This is how they lure you. 

Delilah & Penelope


Today is Delilah's "Gotcha Day".  It's the day we celebrate me bringing her home to be part of our family.  For 3 years I've tried to convert her from a hood rat to a dog.  We are assuming she is 4.  I feel kind of bad celebrating her Gotcha Day considering I am the worst kind of mother to my one true love, Penelope, and forgot to celebrate her 10th Birthday on February 5th.  Perhaps tonight should be a joint celebration? 

The thing is I can buy Delilah bones and she will devour them.  I can buy Delilah toys and she will destroy them.  I can't buy Penelope anything.  She very rarely chews on a bone.  She very rarely plays with a toy.  She used to be quite the Frisbee enthusiast before she went blind.  Every blue moon she will still grab a rope toy to be thrown which is nine kinds of pathetic cuz...um...how is she going to find it once it reaches its destination?  I hate celebrating with food, but they do lovie themselves some Beneful Prepared Meals, so I will probably buy one for each of them and let them go to town.  Normally I buy one for them to share when I feel guilty about something.  I'm very predictable.

So, one thing I don't do often enough is take my babies for walks.  I know, I know...I'm awful.  Let me explain, though.  First and foremost, I have to take them separately which is kind of obnoxious.  I wish I could say that this is because Penelope is blind and it's easier to navigate her that way, but the truth of the matter is that I had to do it this way before she went blind because they are both unruly and undisciplined during a walk and pull in too many directions.  Secondly, Penelope makes cRaZy noises since she can't see and everything catches her attention, so I find myself making announcements to everyone who stares at us that she is blind as if that makes it all less awkward for any of us.  AND then beyond that, I really don't have any excuses except that I'm just bad.  =/  Tonight, however, both of my monkeys will get walked (and then mama shall run).

Do you celebrate your pets' birthdays or am I just a weirdo not sporting a beardo?














5 comments:

Jessie said...

I totally celebrate my pets B-days! I know its naughty but we always got my pooches chicken nuggets from McDonalds. They LOVED them! Your pooches are so cute!!

That Pink Girl said...

Aw, happy Gotcha Day sweet Delilah!
And I think a food reward is perfect acceptable. They ARE dogs after all. It's not like they'd appreciate a boquet of balloons or a charity donation or something.
And yes, I celebrate my cat's birthday. Or my guestimate of their birthday. That's not crazy, it's just looooove. :o)

Bring Pretty Back said...

We don't celebrate our dogs bday because we found her as a stray so we don't know when it is.... although she is SO spoiled it is like every day is her bday! We estimate she is around nine . I say this as I just took off her pajamas and I am going to put her sweater on! Hahah! She is over 50 pounds and a spanial sort... my sons say she is "plus size"! She is on a diet , and she hates it just as much as I do!
have a pretty day!
kristin
Have a pretty day!
Kriatin

Lauren @ Team Giles said...

Happy Gotcha Day Delilah!!

We'll be celebrating Taxi's first Gotcha Day on April 16th :) I think a pupcake will be in order.

Rebekah said...

I actually remember "trying" to walk Penny once with you :) I can understand why you wouldn't walk them together if their both like Penny. Give Penelope a great big head rub from me, I love that girl. PS I've never met Delilah but Give her a head rub from me too :)