Wednesday, March 16, 2011

feelin' hot, hot, hot

...not what you think
like at all...

At the end of last year, I listed my goal of running 4 half marathons.  Yes, 4.

I've since upped it to 6.  Yes, 6.

My parents think me nuts.  I prolly am, but not for this.



Many of you agree, but there are those out there who do these things like once a month.  So, when you compare my measley 6 to...say 12, well I'm not so hands-in-the-air-like-I-just-don't-care cRaZy, now am I?!

What if I were to add one more? 

What if that one more were...um...say in August...in the Texas hellish heat?

Then would it be safe to say I've gone completely loony-toony?

Here's my thought process on the matter.  I have 3 half marys within 5 weeks -  all of which will be completed by 9:30am (PST) May 1st.  My next one isn't until October 9th (which I totally officially registered for on Tuesday - yay!).  That means I will go 6 months without one.  6 WHOLE MONTHS.  I'm pretty sure medals keep me motivated.  6 months of Texas hellish heat...and let's not forget HUMIDITY...without a medal dangling in the distance will make it really hard to stay motivated to keep that mileage rollin', don't ya think?  Yes, I do.

So, I did a wee bit of research and found The Hottest Half  in Dallas on 8/14.  They only promise that "it will be hot" and that I "will survive".  Hmmmph...well...it will be hot in Houston and I will survive it as I'm putting in my long run that weekend, so why not visit some friends in the Dallas area and get a medal while doing so?

I mentioned this race to my buddy Melissa a couple of months ago when I first found it during my research.  We chuckled at the very notion of it.  BUT...it remained lurking in the back of our minds.  Could we?  Should we?  Melissa (clearly the crazier of the two of us) brought it back up to me when we did our 10K this past weekend.  Now it's all I think about (slight exaggeration).

I mean they do promise I will survive it...they wouldn't lie, right?!


That Pink Girl is considering this race, too, for what it's worth and we all know she is perfectly sane. 

What are YOUR thoughts on the matter?

Do I make like NIKE and "Just do it"?

What would you do?

5 comments:

The Turtle said...

Don't tempt me. I'm still looking for my redemption half since I am missing mine this weekend. I don't do too well in the heat, but I may have to look into the one in Austin.

Unknown said...

Of course I say, Just Do It. However, be wise about your goals with the heat and so many back to back. I learned I can't go out an PR every single time.

Simi said...

Do it!! I want to do as many half marathons as I can this year and of course get into the Chevron marathon again. The Dallas half in August sounds like fun!

That Pink Girl said...

Who are you callin SANE? Not moi!

Hmm, I've always thought this race was nutso. August? Really? I don't even like to leave the HOUSE in August.

But hmm. It's an affordable race. It's certainly convenient. And if YOU are going to be there, well, then, duh!

I might just have to join you! Crazy likes company, right? :o)

Melissa-D said...

I've actually considered that race before, but I'm afraid I might die. Do you want me to die!?