Monday, March 7, 2011

Spaghetti Squash Gratin with Basil


My friend Rachel posted on Facebook a few weeks ago that she was making this deliciousness for dinner for her family.  Well, you know if it has spaghetti squash I am all up on it, so I requested the recipe and Rachel was kind of enough to send it to me.  Here it is in it's original glory.

Yes, of course it's South Beach friendly or else I wouldn't be making it it.  Well...I guess technically the incorporation of the full fat cheeses isn't (Gruyere and Parmesan), but...ah...who's judging?  I could have subbed other cheeses - low fat varieties, but I decided to remain true to this recipe because both are strong flavored cheese that I happen to truly adore.

Here's what you need:
1 large spaghetti squash
1 TBSP olive oil
1 medium onion
garlic
salt
pepper
3 eggs
1/2 cup skim milk (or...um..an alternative - see below)
fresh basil
2 oz (or more) Gruyere cheese
Parmesan cheese

So, first and foremost, I baked my squash.  I bought a big'n since I knew I needed 4 cups for this recipe, by the way.  For a reminder of how I choose to bake my squash, see here.  I did this earlier in the day so it had plenty of time to cool.

Later, I chopped up a medium white onion and added it to a frying pan with one TBSP of olive oil.  I didn't have any fresh garlic cloves on hand, so I just used minced garlic.  I don't have a tendency to measure my minced garlic, so I can't tell you how much I used.  I can tell you that I do like my garlic.  =)  I also added a pinch of salt.
 

While that was sauteing, I went ahead and cut open my spaghetti squash, scooped out the seeds (discarded), and then got my 4 cups of spaghetti strands out. I then chopped up the 4 cups into bite size pieces.  I added this to the frying pan with a bit more salt and some ground black pepper.


Next, I whisked 3 eggs with....wait for it...1/2 cup of vanilla almond milk.  Gross, right?  ha!  I totally forgot I cleaned out my fridge and threw out my this day expired milk because I'm a freak like that didn't have any skim milk on hand and I couldn't possibly fathom leaving the house, so vanilla almond milk (and crossed fingers that it turned out okay) it was!  In my defense, I do only buy the unsweetened almond milk, so that makes it better, right?!  ;)

Then I chopped up fresh basil - a lot cuz...um...I heart fresh basil - and added that to my egg mixture.  2 oz of shredded Gruyere was to be added next, BUT I'm pretty sure I added more than that.  ooops.

I sprayed a glass 2.75 qt. dish with Pam and added my spagetti squash/onion mixture first.  Next, I poured the egg/cheese mixture over the top and sort of stirred it all together.  I then topped it all with some shaved Parmesan and a bit more of the chopped basil and it all went in the oven on 375 degrees.

And then after 45 minutes I took it out of the oven and it looked like this:
mmmmm...


probably not the best plate for picture purposes, but...oh well

3 comments:

That Pink Girl said...

Um, yeah, okay, that looks BEYOND delicious! You might even get ME cookin' in the kitchen for something as yummy sounding as THAT. Mmmm.
Thanks for posting the recipe. I've starred it to try someday. You know, if I ever decide that cereal is just "so" 2010.

Simi said...

That looks so good... I'm scared of Spaghetti squash though ahaha.

Rebekah said...

I love me some squash! Soooo going to make this.