
2 years ago today, when I had "SUCKER" written across my forehead, Delilah found her place on this earth - in my home and in my heart.
Let's go back a couple of months before that. I was not in a good place emotionally. I was dealing with a VERY bad break-up and was pretty much living my life day by day and definitely not enjoying a minute of it...except, while losing myself in a book or in music and occasionally with family and friends.
Now flash forward to a couple of weeks before I met Delilah. I was listening to music in my car on my way to work one morning and "Hey There Delilah" by The Plain White T's came on the radio. I really really loved that song (still do, actually) and I kept thinking that Delilah would be a really great dog name if I ever did get another dog.
So, on March 7th of 2008, I arrived at work and saw this emaciated brindle bashful, yet energetic sweet dispositioned dog hanging out at the front door. I fell in love. I knew immediately that I must have her. I sent one of my employees to Walmart with some money to buy her a collar and a leash. We then staked her to the front lawn and I had another one of my employees give her a bath and then we gave her some pretzels and water. I made an appointment with my then vet for when I got off of work and then I just had to deal with my dad. Needless to say, he wasn't too thrilled with the idea. I believe he said something along the lines of, "Oh great, Kim. At this rate, you will have 30 stray dogs by the time you are 40." Now this was just a ridiculous notion considering that I was less than 2 weeks from turning 31 and this was my first stray EVER. Honestly it wouldn't have mattered what he said...my mind was made up and I am a stubborn girl!
The funny thing was that Delilah acted so weird when we brought her in the building...she started walking so funny that I thought something was wrong with her back legs. In hindsight, I think she had just never been on tile before. She also acted very strangely when I tried to put her in my car to take her to the vet, so I was pretty sure she had never been in a car either. She did know the "sit" command, though. Weird. Anyway, the vet thought she was 9 months to a year old, so consequently I just rounded it to a year so today we are also celebrating her 3rd birthday, too!!! Happy Birthday, Delilah!!! He gave her a good health rating, we made an appointment to get her spayed, and he seemed to think she may be part pit bull, though that latter part I don't really agree with. One of these days I might just pay for a DNA test to find out what she is since I pretty much come up with a new combination daily! =)
Next, I took her to meet my mom. My mom thought she was kinda ugly because she doesn't like brindle dogs. Oh well...can't win them all.
Through the last couple of years, we've had our struggles. Delilah has found every which way to escape out of the back yard whenever possible. Though I know she is a "street dog", Penelope is not and they need to stay put! Delilah also has gotten into fights with other dogs (her family members - Oliver, Rocky, Spike, and Coco) over bones and toys. She becomes very territorial that way. Additionally, she has endless energy that is almost impossible to burn unless it's a hot summer day and we are swimming at my parent's house all day long (yes, she does swim).
Delilah does have her good points, however. She can be a total snuggle bunny (which I love). She is very good about going in her cage when it is appropriate. I simply say, "go to your bed" and off she goes. She will take a treat very sweetly, she will roll over while you wipe her paws, and she will sit and wait for you to open a door (once you remind her).
Basically, she is a bit of a spazz, but an entertaining one as she has very funny facial expressions and mannerisms.
Let's go back a couple of months before that. I was not in a good place emotionally. I was dealing with a VERY bad break-up and was pretty much living my life day by day and definitely not enjoying a minute of it...except, while losing myself in a book or in music and occasionally with family and friends.
Now flash forward to a couple of weeks before I met Delilah. I was listening to music in my car on my way to work one morning and "Hey There Delilah" by The Plain White T's came on the radio. I really really loved that song (still do, actually) and I kept thinking that Delilah would be a really great dog name if I ever did get another dog.
So, on March 7th of 2008, I arrived at work and saw this emaciated brindle bashful, yet energetic sweet dispositioned dog hanging out at the front door. I fell in love. I knew immediately that I must have her. I sent one of my employees to Walmart with some money to buy her a collar and a leash. We then staked her to the front lawn and I had another one of my employees give her a bath and then we gave her some pretzels and water. I made an appointment with my then vet for when I got off of work and then I just had to deal with my dad. Needless to say, he wasn't too thrilled with the idea. I believe he said something along the lines of, "Oh great, Kim. At this rate, you will have 30 stray dogs by the time you are 40." Now this was just a ridiculous notion considering that I was less than 2 weeks from turning 31 and this was my first stray EVER. Honestly it wouldn't have mattered what he said...my mind was made up and I am a stubborn girl!
The funny thing was that Delilah acted so weird when we brought her in the building...she started walking so funny that I thought something was wrong with her back legs. In hindsight, I think she had just never been on tile before. She also acted very strangely when I tried to put her in my car to take her to the vet, so I was pretty sure she had never been in a car either. She did know the "sit" command, though. Weird. Anyway, the vet thought she was 9 months to a year old, so consequently I just rounded it to a year so today we are also celebrating her 3rd birthday, too!!! Happy Birthday, Delilah!!! He gave her a good health rating, we made an appointment to get her spayed, and he seemed to think she may be part pit bull, though that latter part I don't really agree with. One of these days I might just pay for a DNA test to find out what she is since I pretty much come up with a new combination daily! =)
Next, I took her to meet my mom. My mom thought she was kinda ugly because she doesn't like brindle dogs. Oh well...can't win them all.
Through the last couple of years, we've had our struggles. Delilah has found every which way to escape out of the back yard whenever possible. Though I know she is a "street dog", Penelope is not and they need to stay put! Delilah also has gotten into fights with other dogs (her family members - Oliver, Rocky, Spike, and Coco) over bones and toys. She becomes very territorial that way. Additionally, she has endless energy that is almost impossible to burn unless it's a hot summer day and we are swimming at my parent's house all day long (yes, she does swim).
Delilah does have her good points, however. She can be a total snuggle bunny (which I love). She is very good about going in her cage when it is appropriate. I simply say, "go to your bed" and off she goes. She will take a treat very sweetly, she will roll over while you wipe her paws, and she will sit and wait for you to open a door (once you remind her).
Basically, she is a bit of a spazz, but an entertaining one as she has very funny facial expressions and mannerisms.
Though Penelope was a bit hesitant to accept her into our family initially, she is now quite thankful to have Delilah's companionship! Oh, I will add though that sometimes when Delilah is being particularly annoying (read: hyper), Penelope will pretend to have to go outside knowing full well that will make Delilah want to go outside and then when I open the door, Delilah runs outside and Penelope is all "Psych!" and moves past the couch meaning Delilah ends up outside all by herself. Penelli is pretty clever. =D
Hey there, Delilah! Can't imagine my life without you in it - glad we gotcha when we did!!!
Hey there, Delilah! Can't imagine my life without you in it - glad we gotcha when we did!!!

In the beginning...(when she was a skinny minnie)
Most recently (awwww...)

1 comment:
Awww..I remember when she came in the picture! Happy Gotcha-Day AND 3rd birthday!! : )
Post a Comment