Tuesday, March 1, 2011

best Run EVER

after 4.5 - looking a bit winded...
Saturday I knew that no matter what, come rain or shine, however I tried to spin it, I HAD TO hit 8 miles.  Hal Higdon said so, after all,  Who am I to argue?!  =D  Seriously, though, with my half marathon one month away, if I didn't hit 8, I knew I was in BAD shape.

I planned out a route in my head and got down to business doing 5/1 intervals.  The first 2 miles seemed effortless.  The third mile breezed by.  At this point, I started getting cocky.  I seriously considered tacking on an extra mile for a grand total of 9.  I was, after all, feeling ON TOP OF THE WORLDISH.  Mile 4 and still going strong and then eventually I hit the 5.25 mile point and I took a nose dive.  This wasn't really all that surprising considering I hadn't run all week AT ALL and that the most I had hit prior to this run in any one jaunt was 6 miles.  It took everything in me to finish all 8 and I have to say that the last mile was particularly pathetic.  I actually walked most of it as I got a blister on my left heel since my sock had slid down AND I had pain the ball of my left foot (courtesy of wearing heels the night before, I'm thinking) AND then, of course, I had an attack of the charlie horses (my b.f.f.s).

I took off Sunday.

Monday, I got a MUCH needed massage.  I have a monthly membership at Massage Envy, but for some reason I forgot to go in January and February...that is, until I couldn't bear it any longer.  My friend, and massage therapist, Sarah, worked her best torture techniques on me, but some of those knots are going to require another session, so I booked another appointment for next week.  I did feel better, though, leaving than I did going in, so that is progress!

I woke up this morning SO SORE from the release of all the knots in my neck, shoulders, left leg, and upper back.  I had hoped to run this morning, but it just wasn't going to happen.  I took an Epsom Salt bath instead and then I hydrated with the ol' H2O all day long like it was my job.  I'm talking a bajillion gallons, at least.

After a way overdue dinner with my friend Amy, I headed home for that run.  In my head I wanted to do 4.5, but I never tweeted or blogged a specific number because had I done that...well...we all know I would have been required to follow through on it. ;)  I knew that I wanted to run the mileage outright - no walking and no stopping and I knew that I wanted to feel good about the run.

I mapped out the course in my head and I got down to business.

Here are my stats:
Mile 1: 13:34
Mile 2:  13:10
Mile 3:  12:47
Mile 4:  13:15
Mile 4.5:  13:15/avg

Did you check out Mile 3???  Wowsers (uh...for me...it's all relative, after all)!

Bottom line, my little lamp chops - I felt AMAZING and STRONG - for all 4.5 miles.  Well, okay...a bit tired the last mile, but this indicates to me that I should run the Bayou City Classic 10K on March 12th without intervals! This makes me happy. 

Oh...I almost forgot to mention that I did run past a house that must have been a "coffee shop" if you catch my drift in the way that Amsterdam has "coffee shops".  Oh wow - the wretched pungent smell of "coffee" temporarily filled my lungs as I ran past said house.  So, my disclaimer is that I personally did not use any kind of enhancement ... um ... "coffee" for my run (though I'm pretty sure that kind of "coffee" would not be considered a stimulant anyway).  Ugh.

I have never had a week day run feel this good, not to mention this is the most I have ever run in a weekday (4.25 miles was my previous best).  A run like this restores confidence.  A run like this rocks my world!

What do I think lead to this accomplishment?  I freed my mind of all things cluttering it.  I released my body of all tension.  I was properly hydrated (for once).  I told myself, "you've got this!"

So, let's hope Thursday's run is just as dandy and that these two runs shall lead me to a FANTASTIC 9 miler on Saturday!

May you, too, have your best Run EVER or the equivalent in whatever area of life you've been struggling with!

3 comments:

Jessie said...

Awesome run girly! It is all relative to the runner! Victory is victory!

That Pink Girl said...

You are smokin' it these day woman! I'm so happy for you and your new found legs - maybe taking that time off was a blessing. You sure are coming back STRONG! Way to go Kim! Coffee free and all! :o)

I'm excited to see you fired up about running and finding confidence in your abilities. Some runs are awful but the AWESOME ones more than make up for it. Yaaaaay!

Rhonda said...

(Yeah, I'm a bit behind on my reading)

I love how running does this to us. We struggle and plod through and sometimes wonder why we do it... and then one good run makes us feel like a million bucks and on top of the world.
Kudos on your great run. May you have many more!