Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Fake Birthday

In my family, we have a tendency to celebrate fake birthdays.  That is...we celebrate someone's real birthday just not on the right date...cuz...you know...more often than not one's birthday doesn't fall on a convenient day.

My birthday actually isn't until Friday, so naturally we would have celebrated it on the following Saturday, but we thought my mom was going to have to go out of town.  We made plans to celebrate my birthday this past Saturday night instead.  Now, as it turns out, my mom isn't going out of town, but...well...plans were already made.

I didn't mind, though.  Since I'm a mid-March birthday, I've always managed to celebrate for an entire week as my birthday has always fallen during Spring break.  I'm pretty clever to use it to my advantage that way.  Just because I've been out of school for um...a few years now doesn't mean things should change in that area, now do they?!  I think not.

I mentioned to my dad a few months ago that I have a love for the souffle.  It's one of my favorite desserts, actually.  I believe I had my first one, a chocolate souffle, at a restaurant called Neros in Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas during one of our Thanksgiving trips many moons ago.  Such airy delightfulness.  Mmmmmm.  Most recently, I had the pleasure of consuming a Grand Marnier souffle when I went on a cruise two years ago.  My taste buds didn't get to experience much happiness during that trip as I got incredibly sick with strep throat and bronchitis while on-board, but I do remember that dessert with fondness.  Ah, but I digress.  shocker.  So anyway, my dad told me I needed to go to Tony's someday as they are known for their souffles and they have many, many different flavors.  I must know more of this Tony's he speaks of!  I asked if we could go for a special occasion...say perhaps my birthday?  He said it was a bit too pricey.  =(

A couple of weeks ago, my dad had a change of heart.  He informed me that he decided we could go to Tony's.  Oh dear heavens...all I cared about was that I was going to get souffle!

We dressed up in our nicest attire - we all looked stunning, I must say - and we headed over to the restaurant.  It's valet only, don't you know?!  I decided to be bold and daring and order the wild boar tenderloin as my main course.  Over half my family thought I was nuts, but it was yummy, so I felt validated.  I started my meal with a delicacy I normally wouldn't order because of the calories and fat content, but...well...it was my fake birthday.  Oh how do I love lobster bisque?  Let me count the ways.  This was the best lobster bisque I have ever eaten, by the way.  rich creamy loveliness.

We decided to order two souffles for the table - I didn't mention the souffles at Tony's are HUGE - and serve 4 people a piece!  My mom got to pick out one flavor - bananas foster - and I got to pick out the other flavor - while chocolate Grand Marnier.


Since my dad had mentioned it was my birthday, our server brought out a special plate for me.  So sweet.


After they served us all a piece of each flavor, two servers walked around with sauce toppers for each souffle.  For the bananas foster souffle, we had a caramel sauce with bananas.  For the white chocolate Grand Marnier souffle, we had a white chocolate sauce and a Grand Marnier infused whipped cream.  They did not disappoint, each bite was a bite of heaven.

Then, the awesome Tony's staff brought me out a martini glass filled with pink cotton candy for my birthday.  How funny is it that such an expensive restaurant would serve cotton candy?!  love it!


As we left, the hostess handed each of us a bag of delicious biscotti.

We then went back to my parent's house for presents.  I did not get all my parents, so all the more reason to keep extending the ol' birthday (well that and my real birthday hasn't happened yet - ha!).  I got some new pillows for my bed, a subscription renewal to Runner's World, new pajamas, a car mount for my cell phone for when I'm using the Navigation function, and the matching trash can and tissue holder for the bathroom accessories I got for Christmas.
source here


So far, I'm having quite the birthday week!  Maybe...ahem...34 isn't going to be so bad, after all!  =D

5 comments:

Simi said...

Wow that looks so yummy! I've never heard of Tony's I must check into this at once! Calories and fat don't count on your bday week. That's the rule I live by... splurge and enjoy, you have the rest of the year to worry about stupid calories! :) Have a lovely day.

xoxo

Grape said...

The souffle looks absolutely delish ... && sounds like you all had a fun time.

Happy Birthday!!

LaShaune said...

34 is a great year and what a way to celebrate - at Tony's! Yum!!!! Happy birthday, Doll!

Rhonda said...

I have never, ever had souffle.... now I want to!

Happy Birthday!

That Pink Girl said...

How fun! Love the birthday plate they brought out and love that you ordered something so exotic and different for you! I've never been to a swanky resturant. This could possibly be because of my decidely UNsophistated palate. For reals. As I was reading I thought, "I love how much she loves food and savors the many flavors available to her. She really knows how to live it up and try new things!" While, I, on the other hand, could eat the same 4 foods the rest of my life and be entirely satisfied.

Then I got to the cotton candy martini - LOVE IT! While I might have been afraid to try a souffle - I can get down with some pink spun sugar!
Happy Fake Birthday!