Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Worry Wart Part 3: What to Wear on Race Day???

I would love nothing more than to wear my Nike Dri-fit Capris, y'all, but sadly they are just too hot this time of year.  =(  Lauren was a smartie and told me to check out Old Navy for some knee shorts since she knows I like the fit of the capris, but wanted a shorter cut (but not too short).  I found just what I was looking for about 2 months ago and was able to get 2 pairs!  On Tuesday of last week, I discovered a similar pair of "shorts" at Target, so I went ahead and bought them.  I wore them on Saturday's run.  They were okay, but not quite the same fit that I prefer and I want to be in my comfort zone - wardrobe speaking since I'm gonna be outside my comfort zone - race speaking. 
As far as the top goes, my mentor suggests a loose fitting fabric so that the heat doesn't get trapped.  That's all fine and dandy, but it's difficult to find a loose fitting fabric for us girls!  Almost everything is tight.  I don't so much mind the tight because everything stays where it should, but I understand his point.  I was able to find and buy this top on-line (pictured up top) and also this other one (pictured to the right).  I received them both, but they are baggier than I would have liked (which translates to not as flattering for pictures.  We know from past races that I am not very pretty in my race pics (I've been practicing on my running facial expressions, by the way), so I don't need my wardrobe to bring me down any notches, if you catch my drift.  They will be great for training for my full marathon, though.  Then I bought this puppy featured on the bottom when I went with my mom to Academy on Saturday morning.  It's a tight one, but it's back to my Nike roots (younger sister Linda says I'm a label snob - well to be fair, she doesn't use the word snob - haha).  Monday, I went back to Academy to work on my visor situation and noticed in their "Clearance" section, they had the same top in lime green for $16.00 less, so I said, "yes, please." and bought that one, too.  I suppose the one I choose will depend on my mood - aqua or green.  I just felt like I should have a new top (or...um 4 to choose from) for my first big race, you know?!



Next comes the head gear.  My Nike sweat band is just not cutting it anymore.  I kinda wanna try a Bondi Bands.  I'm hoping they are at the Expo so that I can buy me one or two.  I know I could go on-line and purchase them, but I don't know if I'll get my order in time and so I will just hope for the best.  Worse case scenario - my Nike sweat band is better than nothing.  I also will run with a visor.  I'm leaning towards a white one given the look of my shirts, but it could be black since my shorts are black...see how rough it is to be a girl?!  haha!  I can't wear sunglasses when I run, so I rely on the visor to keep the sun out of my eyes and to keep me from getting sunburned since I also don't put sunblock on my face because I can't stand sunscreen in my eyes!  The visor also helps to keep sweat from rolling down my face - it's yet another barrier.  I have to confess that I did actually try to find a Nike visor to match the marina blue top above, but believe it or not, they discontinuted that particular visor.  In hindsight, it would have been quite the frivolous purchase because the visor would have only gone with THAT top.

I've discovered my favorite socks - they are Adidas brand and I bought them at Academy (see...not entirely a Nike snob).  They offer a nice cushioned heel and toe area.  I've yet to a have a problem with blisters (thank GOD).  I do, of course, Vaseline my feet up prior to a long run as sort of an insurance policy!  That was Meliska's tip! 

The shoes are easy since I only own one pair of running shoes - my New Balance Women's 1063 running shoes (and once again...not Nike).    

Then there is the sports bra.  Oh how this has been causing me some major grief!  If it wasn't disgusting, I would show you a picture of my shoulder wound from the 10-miler.  I must not have used enough Vaseline on my right shoulder because it was ugly.  I alternate between two different ones - the Enell (Oprah's pick) and The Goddess 5056.  The Goddess is the one that hurt me - I'm trying not to hold a grudge.  Truthfully, the Enell has marked my skin a time or two before, as well.  This last wound, however, was by far the worst - it was also my furthest run, though.  *Sigh*  I ordered the Enell in a smaller size (following the size chart) thinking that might be part of its problem.  I'm leaning towards wearing this new one on race day since the Enell does have the nice support panel on the back (thought it's quite expansive which equals HOT).  I was pretty proud of myself for this purchase, too, because normally the bra runs $65 a piece, but I bought it through a seller on Amazon for $54 including shipping.

So there you have it...I guess it really just boils down to me needing to pick a top, then a visor.  I guess it's really nothing to worry about, but I'm going with a theme here, so just humor me!  ***4 more days!!!***

8 comments:

Lindsay @ http://pancakesnpajamas.blogspot.com/ said...

Choosing the right clothing for a race is so important to me. I'm with you I need it to be functional,but I also need to feel good wearing it. All of my favorites happen to be Nike and I've lucked up picking them up from the outlet store. Good luck on your big run girl!

Melissa-D said...

You are going to look beautiful no matter what! Just make sure whatever you pick is comfortable for you!

Off The Record said...

Maybe I'm just used to bike races, but don't you get a racing jersey to wear? It's kinda funny to see thousands of people dressed exactly alike! Best of luck to you!

to dream the KIMpossible dream said...

Thanks, y'all!

@ Off The Record - no, we get a bib which is just a water resistent piece of paper with your name, the sponsor's name, and your race # on it and it gets pinned to your top.

That Pink Girl said...

You'll pick just the right outfit!
My advice in the heat, don't just Body Glide your SELF, but also use BG on the seams of your clothing. You'll feel gross when you first get dressed but at least you'll be fending off any chaffing.
So excited for you!!!

Ginger said...

I like the Nike!! I know next to nothing about this stuff, I say go with comfort! And what's pretty. :) I LOVE that blue. Good luck!!!

Bring Pretty Back said...

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE how the photo's change of your weight loss progress! You look AMAZING!
SO HAPPY FOR YOU!
Can you do me a favor? I want to add the little links below the post that lists the three "you might also like" after a post... I do not know how! can you help me?
Kristin

Amanda @ Click. The Good News said...

Hey Kim- did you change your feed settings? Nothing since July 11 came through on my google reader :(

Good luck with the race this weekend!