I looked up when I hit my 9 mile marker and it was a month ago. Yikes! Since then, I've had nothing but crap "long runs". This translates to my longest one was 4 miles, if I'm not mistaken. Basically, not too impressive for a girl with a half marathon hanging in the balance (her first one, to boot). I knew no matter what I had to hit the 10 mile mark TODAY since my Chicago Rock 'n' Roll Half is officially 2 weeks from tomorrow. Can you just feel my EEEEEEK?!?!?!
So, I brought some morning workouts back - alternating between elliptical/bike days and treadmill days. This served four purposes - one to get my body in motion - two to get me in the habit of waking up ridiculously early - three to get the adrenaline pumping - four so that no matter what happened at work to stress me out, etc...at least I got the workout in already.
Additionally, I decided to switch out the music on my iPod. This was a temporary change. I can say that I prefer my Lady Gaga, Pink, and Fergie type of tunes to perk me up for the long haul, but I wouldn't have known that without having experimented today by going a bit more Zen with a more chill blend of music such as Jason Mraz, Blues Traveler, Gavin DeGraw, and Adele, for example. I still may mix and match it though for my half - we'll see. I also think I owe it to myself to purchase some new music to keep it fresh!
I mapped out a route in my head in my neighborhood, though I wasn't sure until I ran it how far it actually was. It ended up being 2.58 miles which was perfect because 4 laps and I would so have that 10! My plan was to swing back around the house after each lap to grab a drink from my cooler - Powerade Zero (in orange) and eat a couple of blocks from my Clif's Shot Blok (in orange). I did have to stop to use the facilities at the halfway mark - UGH! I hope to not have to do that during the race!
I also decided to do something that I kind of had to swallow my pride about. I've been running 4/1s, but it's been a real challenge in this heat and humidity. I decided to go back down to 3/1s today to hit my 10 miles considering all the struggling I've done lately. Obviously it worked since I was successful...I just wish I didn't feel like I was taking a bit of a step backward, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do since the girl just wants to finish this race. Once I get this very first half marathon behind me, I will have just over 2 1/2 months to see what kind of improvement I can make for The Houston Half - all the while I'll be training ideally for my first full marathon (Houston - assuming I get in the lottery draw).
Oh...and during my third lap, some neighbor lady was out watering her lawn with the hose and a spray nozzle and asked me if I wanted to be sprayed. I had to think a second because...well...nobody has ever asked me that before and it kinda goes against anything any normal adult would do, but I was hot and sweaty and I took her up on her offer and it felt amazing. Then she filled up a plastic cup of water for me. I think I love her. haha!
Did you know you can figure out how much liquid you should consume based on how much weight you lose during your run? I read all about it in this month's issue of Runner's World and my mentor also sent me some literature on it. You are supposed to weigh yourself naked before and after your run. For every pound you lose, you need to rehydrate yourself with 16 oz. of fluid. I lost 2.6 lbs during my run, so I needed to drink roughly 40 oz of fluid to replenish my body - don't worry kids...I did just that!
Well, I've taken a soak in a tub, I need to ice cuz I'm a little bit crippled at the moment. I see a pedicure in my near future as well. Happy trails to all you runners out there and I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!


3 comments:
Congrats on hitting 10!! and for breaking free of social norms and accepting the shower. :)
Awesome!!! I'm so proud of you! I knew you could do it!! Wow...10 miles...did you EVER think you would say that!? So awesome!! I gotta say, how awesome is your neighbor with the hose. No one has ever offered to hose me down on a run, but if they did, I would have totally taken them up on it! What a nice lady!! I like the idea on the weighing/hydrate thing...I hadn't heard of that before, but I will definitely use it when I'm able to start running again!!
First off, congratulatIions on 10 miles! WTG!!! Smart move adjusting to the heat by switching it up to 3/1. Lady, it is HAWT and don't think for a second that it doesn't affect your endurance. What matters for you is time on your feet and mileage. You busted out both!
Secondly, sorry I missed the switch to the new URL - I can't believe I'm just now reading bout your big run! But I'm all caught up now and have Reader switched over. I won't miss any more! Whew.
Post a Comment