I signed up for marathon training!
On Sunday, I went to a Weenie Roast for Team Nam - this is the running group I have decided to train with for the Chevron Houston Marathon. I met a lot of my fellow run-mates and ate a hot dog, some fruit, and cheese (no bun for me because whole wheat buns weren't offered and I didn't bring my own). I'm one of the younger ones on the team, but everyone was so friendly and encouraging that I'm really excited to be a part of this team!
I'm sad that I will miss my first group run - this coming Saturday, but it's for a good cause since I will be in Chicago preparing to do my first half marathon.
Beginning the following Saturday, I will meet up with them at the crack of dawn every Saturday to run, run, run! I asked one of the guys how many miles the full marathoners will train up to and he said in the years past, it's 22, but that my mentor (one of the trainers) was commissioning for the group to push it to 30. I am so not an over-achiever - the 22 will be just fine for me and then the 26.2 come marathon day. There will be no need for 30, thank you very much. I'm starting to get the idea that my mentor is a bit hard core!
Speaking of the Chevron Houston Marathon...registration is tomorrow! Of course, as I have previously mentioned the powers that be decided to make it a lottery system this year, so I won't find out if I actually "won the lottery" so to speak until August 17th. Yes, that's 3 whole weeks of waiting! I will continue with the marathon training regardless of whether I make it into the Houston Marathon or not because my goal is to run a marathon (Houston would just have been ideal). If I don't make Houston, I will seek out another one to run in the early part of next year.
***Don't forget to enter my Bobo's Oat bar giveaway that ends tomorrow at 9pm CST!
3 comments:
If the Chevron marathon doesn't work out, you could come run in Austin in February. Free lodging :)
Whew! 30 miles for training just blows my wee-little mind. I don't know if I'll ever bite off an entire marathon, but I'm thinking of a mini-triathlong... Good for you!!
30 miles!!?!??!?! WHAT!??!? I have NEVER heard of anyone doing 30 miles to prepare for a full marathon!!! Um, I don't blame you for passing that one up. The longest I did was 21 before my full, and I was perfectly fine to do 26.2 after. Just follow what your body can do. I'm so excited for your training though. It will definitely help to have a group to train with. You will find that it definitely helps with the getting out of bed on a Saturday morning thing too! If for some reason you don't make Houston (which I think you will), you could do Austin in February (you'll have to deal with hills on that one though). If not Austin, I know we can find you a close one around that time period. However, I don't think you'll have a problem getting into Houston. I'm excited to come cheer you on! I'm already trying to design a onsie in my head for little Baby-D to wear to cheer on his Auntie Kimska! :)
Post a Comment