Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Movies, Mexican food, and Airport Madness

Friday...

My dad offered me a deal.  He knew we were too busy at work to have someone drop him and my mom off at the airport, so he had looked into limos and they were ridiculously expensive, so he gave me cash and told me he would pay for our family lunch on Saturday if I could get his car picked up from the airport sometime on Saturday.  I explained to him that I could get his car picked up AND manage to pay for my own meal, but he wouldn't have it.  I think he also thought that he was encouraging the family lunch tradition, but truth be told...we always do family lunch even when my parents can't be there and if you tune into my blog often, you know that my parents travel frequently.  I also pre-purchased Eclipse tickets for younger sister Linda, her hubby Craig, and I for Saturday's 2:50pm showing.

Saturday...

I got a work call that one of my helpers lost his wallet which meant he needed replacement cards (payroll and road).  Great - this meant a trip up to the office at some point either this day or before noon on Sunday.  Blech. 

It was decided family lunch would be at Los Cucos.  We picked Los Cucos because we don't get to eat family lunch there very often since our father has a self-proclaimed chip problem.  Linda and I figured we had just enough time to go to the airport to pick up our father's vehicle while Craig went back to their house to pick-up their dog, Coco and to pack since they were "vacationing" at my parent's house for the weekend.  My father had left me very specific instructions as to where we should be able to find his SUV.  Linda, it was decided, would drive it, though she was VERY uncomfortable with this notion since she doesn't drive an SUV and she doesn't ever drive to or from the airport and didn't think she could find her way back to the house or the movie theater (if we didn't have enough time to make it to the house before the movie).  I reminded her that the car had a built in GPS and then she felt better.  So, I knew we were in trouble when the one parking garage was blocked off and we were forced to enter into another one.  This was was blue and brown and we needed purple.  After touring it and paying our $2.00 for nothing, we figured out we didn't have enough time for another tour, so we headed straight for the theater.  We called Craig to discover that he apparently got sidetracked while on his mission and also wasn't going to have enough time to complete it successfully.  The difference was he decided to complete his mission regardless, so he was late to the movie.  Linda and I refused to be late.  After Eclipse, Linda and I resumed our mission and headed back to the airport.   This time, the right parking garage was open, so we were ecstatic and headed up to find my dad's car....only, we somehow ended up in the blue and brown section again.  We were confused.  We found a security guy who explained we went up the wrong ramp.  I told Linda I knew we went up the right ramp, but whatever.  So we paid another $2.00, followed his instructions (which lead us right back to where we had just ended up - saw a sign that even told us we were entering the Purple parking area) just to find ourselves back in the blue and brown section.  We paid another $2.00 and did the whole airport tour for the 4th time.  At some point, Linda wanted me to just leave her and she would walk to the alleged Purple section.  I told her I would have felt better giving her to the security guard and letting him take her to it.  She was not amused with the notion of me giving her away to a stranger.  It wasn't like I was having him hog-tie her in the back of an unmarked vehicle.  Besides...she wanted me to leave her in a plastic sectioned off construction area that looked like it was taken out of an episode of Dexter before he makes the kill.  So, then Linda had a braniac idea that we needed to go into another section and we found the Purple People eater area and my father's car.  Basically, his directions sucked.  Basically, the airport's signs were misleading.  Basically, $8.00 later plus the cost of storing my father's car for 24 hours, we were happily on our way.  Well...to be fair, Linda was not so happy because she was incredibly nervous.  I drove straight to Meliska and Greggy-D's house.  Our friend Joe was in town and came over, too.  We saw Law Abiding Citizen, which I had already seen, but didn't mind seeing again because it's that good!  Afterwards, I headed up to work to take care of getting those cards for that helper.  Blech.

Sunday...

I had such great plans for running, but I was up so late the night before and I was just plain lazy.  Linda, Craig, and I decided to go back to Los Cucos for some lunch.  Afterwards, we went to Red Box to rent movies.  We got The Graves, Sherlock Holmes, and The Triangle.  We came home and decided to watch them in that order.  The Graves was the worst movie any of us has ever seen in our entire lives.  At some point I wanted to turn it off, but Linda and Craig felt invested.  Whatever.  Right before we started Sherlock Holmes, which I had already seen, I got a work phone call.  One of my drivers didn't unhook his trailer, though I had specifically told him to do so since he was merely transporting it from one office down to the other so that another driver could leave out with it.  This driver, I knew, had taken his kids out of town for the weekend.  The driver who called me was the one who needed to leave with the trailer, so I had no choice but to go back up to work AGAIN.  I returned and let them finish Sherlock Holmes.  Then we bantered back and forth on Facebook for a while and we watched The Triangle which actually turned out to be pretty good.

Monday...

I ran.  It wasn't a great run.  My allergies have been horrible.  I, once again, started way too late in the morning and the air was way too thick with humidity.  This little IT-band issue I'm having started acting up.  I quit.  Yep...I'm a quitter.  I have 3 more Saturdays to get my act together before the big day.  Ugh.  Later that day...Linda and I grabbed a Sandwich from Lenny's (yummy) and rented Leap Year (cute, but predictable).  Linda may have struggled a bit with Delilah during the day.  You see, Delilah has great love for Linda and Linda doesn't return the love.  Well, to be fair.  Delilah has great love for anyone who doesn't return the love - her theory is that eventually you will give in and love her.  So, after the love affair, Linda headed back home and I met up with Vicki and her fam to celebrate her birthday at Alicia's.  I think I've had enough orders of double beans to hold me over for a while, y'all.  =)

Now it's back to the grind.

1 comment:

Melissa-D said...

My favorite part of your weekend was when you came to hang out with me! : )