Saturday, July 24, 2010

Work Foils Running, Read All About It!

Set out to do my last "big" run before my very first half marathon.  I decided to do 6.55 miles - in other words, for all you non-math wizards, 1/2 of a half mary.  Kinda made my little plan for the ol' neighborhood run and headed out - hoped that my plan was 1/2 of the 1/2 of the 1/2 (or...um roughly 3 1/4 miles) so that when I swung by the mailbox for a swig of my Powerade Zero (in Mixed Berry this time), I'd be half way done.  After completion of the swig - which turned out to be half the bottle (I really gotta watch that), I positioned myself to start running again and then thought better of it figuring I should probably bathroom break first.  I headed inside, took care of business, was opening up the front door when "Little Boxes" comes blaring from my cell (the theme song to the tv show Weeds).  NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo!  I figured it was probably a work call....AND....I was right.

Turns out my one crew that had a delivery today locally in Houston did not have their paperwork.  This was an oversight belonging to my warehouse manager.  This meant I would have to go up to work to get it to them or else they would have no clue where they were going - no paperwork = no delivery address, etc.  It just sucks royally when yet again work foils my plans and it wasn't even my fault!!!  I do have to say that I think the timing of my driver's call was pretty wild, though.  Had he called 2 minutes earlier or later, he would have missed me and my dad is out on the golf course, so highly doubtful he would have been able to reach him and that could have meant disaster (at least until after I finished my run).

Was I annoyed?  You betcha!  Did I get over it?  Yeah.  What would be the point of harping on it?  I will go out and do my 6.55 tomorrow and at least I had the benefit of getting an extra 3.15 in today (guess my calculations in my head were off by 1/10th of a mile - not too shabby).

On a happy note - my double cousins, Nicole (18) and Danielle (16) are coming into town this morning - part of the reason why I can't continue my run since I'm picking them up from the airport with my mom.  I haven't seen them since Christmas which is far too long to go without seeing your double cousins, wouldn't you agree?!  Did you know that (and this is according to Wikipedia) double cousins have the same genetic make-up as half siblings and share 25% of their DNA?  Weird, huh?

So, Nicole and Danielle know all about our family lunches and wanted to make sure that they were able to participate in one so today is the day.  I think my family should sit in stoic silence during the whole meal just to be funny, what do you think?  =P

If you haven't done so already, don't forget to check out my first giveaway here (it expires on Tuesday, 7/27 @ 9pm CST).

Alright, that's all I have for you (for now).  I hope work doesn't foil any of your weekend plans!  Happy Trails to you runners and bike riders out there - be safe and stay hydrated!

3 comments:

Melissa-D said...

Congrats on a good run despite the work call! PS. Thanks again for helping me with that address too! : )

Lindsay @ http://pancakesnpajamas.blogspot.com/ said...

Great job on the run kim. Bummer about work interrupting, but still great job. Have a good Sunday!

99ToGo said...

I got a call (while on the treadmill) with another half mile still to go. It was an exhausting run, so while I was annoyed that I wouldn't complete my run, a little voice inside was cheering with glee :)