I don't drink sugar. I don't drink calories. Well...I do drink milk, but that's cuz it does a body good. ;) AND...every blue moon I partake in the enjoyment of an adult beverage (South Beach does allow certain varieties). I rarely even drink soda, but when I do you bet your bottom dollar it's a nice cold can of diet cream soda, diet root beer, or maybe diet orange something or another. What do I drink? I mostly drink water. I also drink iced tea - that's what I always order in restaurants. I love me some SoBe lifewater (in the 0 calorie variety). I also enjoy the 0 calorie Vitamin waters from time to time. When I'm running, I consume Powerade Zero (mostly in grape or orange) as I've also blogged about. It's the only thing I've ever trained with and it provides me with electrolytes and it helps to replenish my sodium (which is one of my main concerns because I sweat like no other, I'm convinced).
Here's my issue...the little races I've participated in were no big deal with regard to hydration. I can do a 5K or a 10K with just drinking water. Yes, I bypassed the Gatorade filled cups. I'm not so convinced I can do a half marathon with just drinking water. I think I will need my electrolytes and sodium replenished. The Rock 'n' Roll series offers up Cytomax (nutritional info to the left (source here)). Everyone always says not to experiment with such things during a race because it could have a negative effect on your system. I would be definitely fearful of it having one on mine considering it's a sports drink with sugar (as most are) and I'm not used to consuming sugar. Now I don't know what to do. I think I will have some cousins cheering me on, so I could have them pass me some Powerade Zero, but what if I never actually see them?!
Oh and in case you are thinking I should just carry the Powerade Zero with me in a fuel belt, I can't. I haven't trained wearing one and I think it would just cause me grief. I plan on just wearing my Spibelt for little necessities like my Clif's Shot Blok, gum, chapstick, and maybe my phone in a plastic bag (if I decide having the phone/camera is worth the extra weight).
I know, I know...I'm being a total whiner.
Yes, let the worrying begin. This is only one of many things starting to cause me stress/anxiety for "the big race" which is in 12 MORE DAYS! EEEEEEEEK!


4 comments:
When you say "fuel belt" do you mean something that goes around your waist? Would something on your back cause you less discomfort? When we go snowboarding, I fill a CamelBak with water. Jake fills one with Scotch and ice cubes, I'm amused to say. You could fill one with Powerade Zero.
Maybe a handheld? You can get one for $20. That way, if it seems to hold you back then you can just ditch it partway through and arent out too much.
I can do my best to find you!!! Maybe Nicole and Danielle will come to help and cheer you on too! That's what family is for. You're going to do so freakin awesome... cuz I'm good luck. :)
I'm out of ideas, but I'm anxious to hear what others give you! I'm so excited for you to do this race!
Post a Comment