For the past few months, I've had a HUGE problem with killer knots developing in my upper back, shoulders, and neck. I'm certain there is a direct correlation of this increasingly obnoxious issue and my stress/anxiety level (with regard to work, mostly, but yes...this race, too). My mom told me I don't have to go through with it and I was like, "Are you kidding me?!" Yes, I do! I want to. I need to. I can do this! I am just very nervous/anxious about the whole thing. Anyway...back to business...I've been getting massages courtesy of Sarah every 2 to 3 weeks, but it seems all her hard work (and torture) is gone (but never ever forgotten, Sarah) by 2 days post massage.
I have been using my foam roller every morning and every evening.
I have been using my Trigger Point Massage Baller at least once a day, too.
I have been taking Epsom Salt Baths.
On Saturday, when I did my 10-miler, I felt this horrible knot develop in my upper back around mile 8. I used my walking interval to try to rub it out.
I've been using the foam roller on my IT-band area on my right leg, as well. That Pink Girl is wonderful and sent me some stretches, so I've been working them, too. The area is tight, but not as bad as it has been, so that is a blessing. Truthfully, post run on Saturday, the area right around the patellar tendon was sore upon initial completion but ice and an Epsom Salt bath helped that, so as the day progressed, that pain faded. I'm guessing this is normal - I mean it's non-stop movement for a long period of time (and for me...trust me it's longer than for others cuz I'm slooowww).
I guess I'm just worried about bits and pieces of me acting up while running, but let's face it...my worrying is causing me undue stress and no doubt additional knots. It's the circle of my life. =/ Meliska told me I can always pull over to the side (similar to a car) and do some stretches before continuing on my jaunt.
Again...I apologize for sounding like a whiner...just kinda talking myself through my anxiety and you all get to be along for the ride. Think of how much more "mature" I'll be for the next half marathon.

2 comments:
Melissa is right, you CAN pull over and stretch if you need to. You'll see plenty of people doing that.
Also, I always find that as I get closer to a big race, little aches and pain really stand out. You are more in tune to your body right now. You're supposed to be!
Sounds like you are doing all the right things - keep it up!
YOU ARE GOING TO ROCK IT!! Just keep saying that to yourself! The pain will all be worth it when you have that medal around your neck!
Post a Comment