Thursday, September 30, 2010

the whine

Ho hum, ho hum....I'm not really ready for this 9 miler on Saturday.  I've not been a good runner this week.  I've kinda been in depression mode.  It happens from time to time.  My weekend didn't help matters.  I should have bounced back when my car problem was solved for significantly less money than I had feared.  I should have bounced back when my all too generous parents insisted on buying me a new dryer to replace the one that broke because I refused to let them pay me back for the groceries I bought them to replace the ones I ruined with the whole refrigerator fiasco.  I should have bounced back when Autumn finally showed up in Houston (if only in the mornings and after the sun has set). 

Shoulda woulda coulda.  It's just a mood.  It will pass. 

I didn't run on Monday after work because I was in a bad mood.

On Tuesday, I was all geared up and headed out the door when my cell rang.  It was a work call - a problem - and it took over an hour to fix.  Once it was fixed, there was about 10 minutes left of day light. 

On Wednesday (yesterday), I headed out for what I had hoped would be at least 4 miles, but ended up being only 2.5.  About 2 miles into my run, I had to go to the bathroom.  I headed home to take care of business with the intention of finishing my run when I was through.  The dogs were whining, so I put them out.  I got a drink, I let them back in...then voila - it was dark.  This whole early darkness thing is taking its toll on me, I think.

I ordered my head lamp and my flashing safety light.  They will be here on Friday.  I think I need to switch to morning running.  It feels much cooler out in the mornings still than it does in the evenings.  Whatever happens during the day doesn't get to affect my morning run and I wouldn't have the weight of the day holding me down.  I want to make this transition for next week.  It would mean getting up early again which means going to bed early again.  That's the tough part.  I'm so bad about going to bed early...about getting the necessary sleep.  Sleep and hydration are two of my biggest issues.  *sigh* 

Oh and when I did settle down after my run, my knees ached so bad.  It wasn't my usual runner's knee issue, so I think it was related to the changing weather.  My knees are fickle that way.  They have been that way for years - ever since I've had my surgeries.   Thankfully when I woke up this morning, the aching was gone.

Okay, I'm done being a whiner.

At least my audio book is REALLY REALLY GOOD.  It's called Hide by Lisa Gardner.  I find myself purposely driving around at any given opportunity to listen to it.  I'm getting into this whole audio book thing.  I'm even contemplating downloading one onto my iPod and listening to a book while I run.  I have an email out to my friend Greggy-D to get his thoughts on this since I know he has done it before.  Sometimes I blank out when I run and don't even listen to the music playing in my ear, though, so I wonder if I would do that while listening to a book?  I would have to switch out my shuffle for my nano so that I would have the option of going back to music if necessary.  So many thoughts going through my head...

On a whole different note, we are moving a customer this week with the last name that is the same as the city he is moving to.  How odd is that?  Just to make matters more interesting, Jay did research and discovered that the city's founder and our customer have the same name.  They merely roamed the earth 215 years apart from one another.  I had the move coordinator ask the customer if he was related to the city's namesake (cuz you know how we are stalkers) and found out that it's purely coincidental, but that the customer fully intends to use his last name to his advantage.  Jay and I demand a recount (or...um...at least a DNA sample) because this is just too weird of a coincidence.

Oh...and this morning, I accidentally sprayed my hair with spray deodorant instead of hairspray.  I was just glad it didn't turn my hair white.  It was kinda funny.
Okay, that's all I have for you for now.  Enjoy your evening and my apologies for all my whining.

4 comments:

That Pink Girl said...

You've had a lit going on this week. You know what? Sometimes it's okay to be in a funk for a few days as long as it doesn't stick!
And sometimes it's okay to take a little running break, even during marathon training. You've really ramped up the mileage recently. Uh, hello, how many miles were you running this week last year? Yeah, exactly!
Sometimes your body just knows when it needs a few days. You are smart to listen to it!!!
You'll come back rested & refreshed to tear up those 9 miles this weekend!!!

99ToGo said...

Sorry about your slump of a week :(
Hopefully things will be looking up for you very soon. Can I just mention how impressed I am by your runs? I am just now starting to get into it a bit, and I'm finding it's a lot easier said than done!

Anonymous said...

I think it's odd that you're apologizing for whining ON YOUR BLOG. It's your little slice of the internet and you can talk about whatever you want however you want.

Whine away! We've all gotta get it out somehow!

Melissa-D said...

Pink Girl is right...you are entitled to a bit of a break, and you are so far ahead of where you were last year. When you feel down in the slump, think of that! I'm so proud of how far you've come!