As you may or may not have heard through the grapevine (being that of Facebook and/or Twitter), I have not been having much luck in the health department. Last week I was plagued with a case of the migraines. This week, there were some gastrointestinal issues. I will spare you most of the unpleasantries (and they were quite unpleasant), but I will say that stomach cramping is no joke. I don't think I've ever experienced cramps quite like THAT and I can honestly say that I hope to never ever again.
I assumed something was going around. I found out today that if something is going around, it also hit younger sister Linda and brother-in-law Craig. Then a bit later, I found out older sister Cathy was amongst the less fortunate, as well. Hmmm....isn't this odd. Now I can't help but wonder if we all got food poisoned considering we all ate the same thing at Los Cucos on Saturday at family lunch. The only other person to partake in the beef fajitas and not claim such issues is my mother. Perhaps she has a stomach made of steel? Maybe it's all just a coincidence, but we were all attacked on Monday in varying degrees.
On Monday, I dined mostly on Pepto Bismol and diet room temperature lemon-lime soda (since Walmart apparently doesn't sell diet ginger ale). I got bold and daring late that evening when I felt very weak and light headed and had some brown rice. It sat with me okay and I eventually called it a night. On Tuesday, I bought me a whole wheat bagel in the late morning and it, too, sat me with me okay. I still felt a tad bit crampy and a wee bit light headed here and there and I was no doubt dehydrated. Today, I feel significantly better, but I can tell I'm still not at 100%....I kinda feel like I'm still dragging a bit. I had hoped to go run a couple of miles after work, but after I got home I just was kinda blah about going out in this heat, so I figured I should chill for one more day and try tomorrow. Not feelin' too keen about Saturday's 8 miler at this point, but I'll give it my best. =/
Well...I didn't want to just be completely lazy for yet another night, so after perusing some food blogs from Houston Health Blogs, I happened across Marci Gilbert's recipe for zucchini banana bread and decided to modify it slightly and give it a whirl.
Ingredients:
2 medium zucchini grated
2 medium bananas
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup of sugar substitute
1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions:
Set oven to 350 degrees.
Grate the zucchini in a large bowl.
Add all other ingredients and mix thoroughly with a hand held mixer.
**Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes.
**I actually mixed together 1 tablespoon of sugar substitute with 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg and then sprinkled over the top before putting the loaf into the oven.
And then voila...here is the finished product, my friends. I couldn't resist having a slice fresh out of the oven even though typically I prefer a cold slice of such tasty breads, but oh well...
Thoughts...a little bit on the mushy side...not quite a bread texture, but that's not really surprising since there are no eggs, nor milk, butter, or baking soda/powder in the mix. It's totally South Beach friendly, so that makes me happy. I will refrigerate it and have some more tomorrow.
Wishing you all good health and happy eating!




5 comments:
Sorry you haven't been feeling well, thats a drag. I hope you kick this crap soon and get back into it (=
Your bread looks yummy, I bet it smelled delish while baking (=
You feeling any better?
I'm glad you're on the mend (I hope!) I got really sick years ago (I also wondered if it was food poisoning, but never really thought about it until weeks afterward)and I had major GI problems for 2 weeks! But, I survived and when I got better, all I wanted to eat was hot dogs with ketchup. And that's what I ate. For a week.
Your bread looks tasty! It makes me wish I had a garden so I could grow a bunch of zucchini!
Listen to your body and don't push the running. It is better to wait until you feel 100%...stomach issues are nothing to ignore. Running will only make it worse and make you feel worse! You will be okay if you have to miss a long run. Take care of yourself!!
I hope you are feling better! I bet this bread will be better cooled.
At least I hope so! ( :
Have a pretty day!
Kristin
Post a Comment