Monday, September 27, 2010

flush this weekend down the toilet

I did not have a very good weekend.  It makes me sad to think about it because usually I wish the week away to get to my beloved weekend.  Honestly, Monday couldn't have come fast enough.  How sad is that?!

It all started Friday night...er...Saturday morning.  AND that makes me mad because I had a really nice Friday evening with my parents.  They were in between out of town trips and my mom had invited me over for dinner.  I dined with them on grilled steak, brussel sprouts (don't judge me), and a baked sweet potato, and then we watched tv together.  Granted, they were catching up on shows that I had already seen, but it was nice mommy, daddy, Kimby time, so I loved it.  I finally went home and caught up on Mafia Wars and Sorority Life for a bit and then went to bed way too late - around 11:30.  This meant 6 hours of sleep before my scheduled 7 miler with my running group the next day.  I don't really want to get into too many details, but let's just say there was an hour of unpleasantries from 1:30am to 2:30am dealing with unexpected and unwelcomed text messages from someone in my past and then follow-up repetitive doorbell rings (5 to be exact) which meant dogs barking and chaos before that someone finally bought a clue and left me alone.  I'm thinking alcohol was involved.  Regardless, I was upset, angry, tired, rattled, annoyed and this meant it took me a while to go back to sleep.  Needless to say, my 5:30am alarm went off way too soon.

My 7 miler turned out to be 7.5 miles and I kinda cheated at that.  I took one little short-cut otherwise it would have been about 8.25 miles.  I never claimed to be an over-achiever and since the schedule said 7, by golly...they were lucky to get 7.5 out of me.  This time we left the park and so this time I got a little lost.  I had to ask a park employee on a golf cart to help me.  =/  I'll know for next time.  It was challenging because it was quite humid out and when the sun came out, it came out with a vengeance and I forgot my visor.  The good news is that this little cool front that came through is supposed to last through this coming weekend, so my 9 miler coming up should be under better conditions.  After my run, I went home to shower and get ready for lunch.  I waited a bit and text my sister where we were going and she text me back that they weren't going.  Well they were the only ones in town, so it hurt my feelings.  I text her back with "ok" and a minute later she called me and apologized and said she felt bad, but that they could eat with me if we went somewhere a little later and if they ate something light cuz they had plans later that afternoon.  I told her I had already eaten.  She said, "in the last minute?"  I said yes.  I was clearly pouting (and lying).  She apologized again and I accepted her apology and so we had family lunch after all at ol' faithful BJs.  I then set out on some of my errands.  There was the library, then there was birthday present shopping for several birthdays - Lauren's, Cathy's, and my dad's.  I didn't finish buying all the presents.  I went back to my house to get my dogs and bring them to my parent's house and I threw something in the dryer really quickly (you know, to iron it) and accidentally broke it...the dryer.  How?  Well, about 8 years ago or so, the knob broke off that you turn to start the dryer.  No worries, I just use a plyers to turn on the dryer.  Well after years of doing this, I snapped off the little thing I was using the plyers on.  Now, it appears, I have no means of turning my dryer on and off.  Can you hot wire a dryer?  =/  So, I gathered my belongings and my pups and headed to the parentals' house.  I got the dogs all settled and then went to get a pedi.  Afterwards, I went back to the house to get ready for Lauren's bday party.  When I headed out to leave, I noticed a river of transmission fluid beneath my car.  That can't be good.  =/  I ended up taking my mom's car to the party. 

I had lots of fun at Lauren's.  I got to finally see my Meliska - it has been ages!  I got to finally see Lauren - it has been since the Bearkat Bash.  I got to meet some friends of Lauren's - all super nice.  I hope they weren't uber annoyed with all of our running speak!  I left there and went home after 11pm.  I was exhausted.

On Sunday, I was kinda lazy most of the day.  I just had a nail appointment at 1pm, so I did that.  Then I went grocery shopping cuz I planned a killer menu for the week.  I brought all the groceries to my parent's house.  I stuffed everything into their fridge and then watched Lifetime movies for the rest of the night.

This morning when I woke up, I noticed the fridge was open.  Everything inside was warm.  My fresh mozarella cheese I had just bought, my other shredded cheese, my shrimp, my turkey lunch meat, my ham, my yogurt, my eggs, all of my parent's stuff - RUINED!  I told my dad I was replacing everything when he called me this morning.  He told me not to, but I am...well most things, at any rate. 

I had to come home and wait for the tow truck to get here, so while waiting I cleaned out the refrigerator and made a list of what I need to buy.  Speaking of the tow truck.  I called the repair place at 8am.  They told me they would have a tow truck dude call me to schedule a time with me for the pick-up of my car.  Sure enough, 5 minutes later I got a call from the tow truck dude.  We decided on 9:30am.  I got to the house around 9:15am and started cleaning out the fridge.  At 10:20am, I made a phone call to discover that the tow truck dude had a blow out and will be here in another 30 minutes.  Nice communication.  I don't mind him being late...I mind him being 1.5 hours late without letting me know.  RUDE!  We are already off to a great start. 

At least it's a pretty day.  Too bad I don't have any lunch or dinner cuz my menu is ruined since I don't have any groceries.  I don't have to come home during my lunch break and deal with these mongrels, though, since they are getting their attention now.  Guess who is grocery shopping during lunch?!  Yep...me!  Oye...

Lessons learned:  if the knob breaks off your dryer, replace the knob & don't force things into a refrigerator and hope the door stays shut

How was your weekend?  Hopefully less eventful.

***Update:  Turns out it wasn't transmission fluid, it was coolant or something that is orange.  Transmission fluid is pink.  I guess now I'm color blind.  Whatevs.  So, with the tow (he was 2 hours late, by the way) and the fix, it's a $350 problem solved kinda deal versus the $1000 to $3000 nightmare I was fearing.

****More Update:  I replaced a good portion of my parent's portion of the groceries for $60.  Forget about my groceries...we'll save that for another day.

3 comments:

Ginger said...

What a terrible weekend!!! Thank God for Monday, huh?? I'm glad your car's problem wasn't the transmission!! I know your weekend sucked and all but I couldn't help but laugh at your moral of the story. If my dryer knob ever falls off, I will replace it. Promise!!!

That Pink Girl said...

Oh how frustrating for you! So many things in one weekend!
Oh well, at least there is another day. Tomorrow is full of new mercies!!!

Melissa-D said...

What a weekend!! However, you DID get to see me, so all in all the whole weekend was a success, right!? :)