Saturday, May 22, 2010

a wink or a smile

Yeah...I know this is a totally unflattering pic of me trying to wink and smile. =/


I first accomplished 7 miles on March 28th. That was almost 2 months ago. It was a bit difficult to swallow that pride and do the whole back-track thing PUBLICLY, no less. In other words, owning it for all to see. Wouldn't it be great if my running training was just a continuous forward progression (with the exception of purposeful tapering, of course)? Yeah, it would, but that isn't the reality.

I looked back and read my 7 Mile Successful blog. I was 8 lbs heavier then, it was at least 10 degrees cooler, I don't have specifics on the humidity, but I KNOW it wasn't like this, and I had a running buddy (younger sister Linda). My point in telling you all this is that I did the 7 miles today, but it was HARD. The first 2 miles were easy breezy. This part was actually not the norm for me. I typically struggle through the first 2-3 miles, but I had a great attitude going into it and my muscles were nice and loose courtesy of the massage I got on Wednesday (or should I call it a steamrolling - lol). I think what also helped was that I had the massage therapist take care of my upper arms which needed some major work. I'm not gonna lie - it hurt VERY BADLY, but I understood it was a necessary evil for the greater good of my body and my running.

Post run, I came home to shower and then ice my right shin. It's always something, right?!

Anyway, That Pink Girl has several times mentioned her mission to create peace and harmony between runners and bike riders. I would just be happy if my fellow runners (or heck...even walkers) would acknowledge one another. I don't require words...a nice wink (I kid, I kid...a wink would be creepy), a smile, or a nod go a long way. Today, I got two "good mornings". That made my day! I'm pretty sure I ran a good mile or better with a huge grin on my face for that alone. It doesn't take much to make me happy, y'all!

So what's on tap for next Saturday's run - I'm thinking 7 miles again...since today's 7 miles felt rough. I'm also thinking I need to GET AN EARLIER START! Goodness gracious...what is wrong with me that I can't seem to get started before 9am? It's not like the freakin' dogs let me sleep. I'm always up when the sun rises, so what's the dealio?! It would feel so much better at 7am!!! That's my goal for next week - 7am START TIME for 7 miles. I like it!







7 comments:

Bring Pretty Back said...

How proud and happy that you are no longfer the woman in the seat! awesome! Yes, start next sat at 7! ( :
Kristin

Anonymous said...

best running memory not related to a race - running down on Akli beach, my running partner (Mel) and I ran past these two girls and I started clapping and cheering for them and we all laughed. On the way back down the path we passed them again and they clapped and cheered for us! It was SO FUNNY and just what I needed to finish my run.

SMILE, PEOPLE! ENCOURAGE EACH OTHER! IT MAKES THIS MORE FUN!!

Lindsay @ http://pancakesnpajamas.blogspot.com/ said...

I thought I was the only one who felt that way about runners and bikers. I always at least nod, but usually throw up a wave. I remember a few months back I was struggling through a run and as I passed another runner, he threw up a high five and yelled good job. It gave me so much energy that I blasted through the rest of the run.

So proud of your seven girl! I'm so proud you powered through and showed that run who's boss! :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your weight loss! That is so awesome that you run!!

Unknown said...

I've noticed that as far as Meyer Park is concerned, the people early in the morning on weekdays are much friendlier than those on weekends. When I run there during the week, at least 70% of the people say good morning! The weekend is a totally different story though. Weekend people seem to keep to themselves too much. :(

Amanda @ Click. The Good News said...

I get annoyed when people don't respond with wave or 'morning' if I say something to them. I usually wave at cars that scoot over on the road away from me a bit & they wave back more often that other exercisers.

The summer totally sucks for running. I'm so impressed and excited for you! I'm training for my first fall marathon- which means LONG runs during the summer & I am NOT looking forward to it...I'll be hitting my mom's pool at the end of most long summer runs, it really seems to help with recovery to get in a cool pool! Good luck & we should GTG sometime!

That Pink Girl said...

Way to rock those 7 miles! It gets harder and harder when it's so warm and humid. But you'll get used to it and your run will get easier. I mean, it is still Texas so it will still feel like you are running through hot soup...but you'll get better at running through hot soup. I promise!