Friday, May 14, 2010

I got your number, Verizon!


Imagine my shock when I saw my Verizon bill and it was for well over $500. That deserves a big fat OMG! I looked at the itemized on-line bill and noted I was being charged $409.99 for equipment. Oh well...that explains it...clearly an error on their behalf, so I called them up to settle the issue. Uh oh...found out it wasn't "their issue" but rather mine. You see, about 3 months ago my cell phone went crazy. I have the enV LG and I could feel the screen moving underneath the screen - I realize that doesn't sound like it makes sense. It was malfunctioning...it was also doing split screen weird stuff and because of all this it was going through my battery charge in about 5 minutes time. I also could not use the touch screen function, so I had to flip open my phone to answer a call each time. It was barely functional. There is a Verizon store around the corner from my office. Despite the fact that I have insurance on my phone, it wasn't necessary to use in this case because apparently this was a manufacturer's defect (incidentally, the same thing happened to my sister's phone about a month later). The girl told me they didn't have my phone in stock (this confused me) and that I would have to wait a few days to receive my phone in the mail. I was upset because I don't have a home phone (well I do, but it's a bare-boned plan strictly for my house alarm phone) and I need my cell for work. I asked if they have loaners, but she told me no. I knew I had no choice, but to make do with my circumstances. It was a rough 4 days (over a weekend, no less), but I managed. As soon as I got my "new" phone (read: refurbished which explains why they "didn't have any in stock), I tore open the package, rushed over to the Verizon store as instructed by the girl who helped me 4 days prior and another employee set-up my phone for me and transferred the contact list for me. He handed me back my old phone and my new one and sent me on my way. Once I returned to the office, I threw the old phone away. What was the point of keeping it? It was useless and nobody told me otherwise.

Flash forward to 3 months later and apparently throwing it away was a $410 mistake. I don't understand how Verizon charges a person $410 for a refurbished phone, by the way. I also don't understand why they don't just keep the phone once they transfer over the phone numbers since they have the phone in their possession and it is clearly useless at that point to keep it. The only thing I can think of is that it is one of those rebate type of deals where they hope people won't turn in the rebate or, in this case, won't send back the phone. When I spoke to a manager initially, I didn't remember if I had thrown it away (I thought I had, but wasn't 100% sure since the phone would have been at work and I was at home at the time). I argued with her that nobody told me. She apologized and said they should have. Well gee...thanks. She told me to just send it back and they would credit my account. I decided I would find out the next day whether I had the phone or not before I pursued it further. I went to work and looked in my drawer and discovered it wasn't there, I then had a conversation with my brother-in-law Jay, who confirmed that he recalled I had thrown it away. I called Verizon back up and immediately asked to speak to a manager. I had the *privelege* of speaking to a useless woman who asked me if I went back to the Verizon store the moment I realized I threw the phone away. I told her I didn't understand the question because I purposely threw the phone away and only now realized it was an issue...hence the phone call. She told me she couldn't help me. I said I have been a customer for 10 years and that I didn't think it was fair that nobody told me anything about returning the phone. She told me there was a note in the package they sent me. I said I didn't even look at the package. I was so excited to have a functional phone, I ripped open the package and went straight to the store. She told me I should have read the materials. I told her that I would not be renewing my Verizon contract over this and she said I would have to do what I felt was right. Wow - really Verizon?! $410 is worth losing my over $1500 a year contract? I asked if there was management above her. She said yes. I said great, let me speak to them. She said I could try to call back. I told her that was the wrong answer. She said she was sorry I felt that way. I asked when exactly I'm supposed to "try to call back?" She said she didn't know. I told her that is EXACTLY why she should have offered to have someone call me back and that she obviously doesn't know how to offer proper customer service. She said fine...someone can call me back. Gee...don't do me any favors, lady. I asked when I could expect a call back. She said since it was Friday (9:00am, by the way), probably not until Monday. I explained to her I would be out of the country until Thursday and she should put a note in my screen for them to call me either Friday or Thursday. She said okay. Guess who never got a call?!

I figured out a plan. I went on-line (and even got an on-line coupon to save an additional $20) and purchased the Droid phone. Yes, it cost me, but truth be told I've been having some issues with my refurbished enV and I've been contemplating getting a smart phone anyway. I still save a significant amount of money because I will have my refurbed phone to send them back and they can credit me back with the $410. I'm not sure about whether or not I will renew with Verizon when it comes time (this phone purchase makes me have to deal with them for another 2 years and this is the first time I've had a problem - though it is a BIG ONE with them).

Oh and in case you were wondering...I did ask my sister if she sent her old phone in when she was sent her refurbished. She said that the initial contact she had at Verizon did not inform her of this, but when she went to get the contact list switched over, the guy told her. Nice consistency, Verizon.

Oh well....where there is a will, there is a way. Looks like I found away to circumnavigate their system (albeit for a price, but I get a cool phone for a trade-off of sorts).

Verizon - you are officially on notice - clean up your act or in 2 years you are outta here!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had so many issues when I was with Verizon; I was driving 4 hours to school and there was a good 2 hour chunk where I had NO SERVICE. I wouldn't have cared AS MUCH if their whole advertisement hadn't jsut changed to "Can you hear me now?... Good."

Hey Verizon, hear this. I paid to cancel my contract and switched to AT&T. No complaints and I've been there for 5 years now. COME TO THE DARK SIDE, KIM!!! :)

Lauren @ Team Giles said...

I hate verizon... they're crooks. We use AT&T since we have the iphone and to this day we've NEVER had issues. my advice, get an iphone, ditch verizon and come to AT&T, we'll welcome you in :)