Tuesday, May 4, 2010

trickster hipster

Was it the build up of the Voltaren running through my body?

Was it the glucosamine I started taking two weeks ago?

Was it the fear of a large scary needle coming at me?

Who knows?!

I canceled the injection because mysteriously I woke up on Thursday morning (4/29) sans pain in my right hip. I felt positive it was a fluke or a PSYCH! (which had happened a time or two before) and that a run would have that hip hurting in no time. Believe it or not, after my 3 miler and gym workout on Saturday - no pain. After my 4 mile run and 5 mile speed walk on Sunday - no pain (well from the hip, at any rate). That has never happened before...usually the hip pain rears its ugly head as soon as physical activity is resumed. How can I go to my ortho's office tomorrow and have him inject me in a specific location when the specific location eludes me at this given moment?

I can only pray that the pain is gone for good. It truly would be a shame to have to do the injection at another time when time-wise this scheduling would have been ideal given the whole vacation thing. I think that is my biggest fear...that I will come back from vacation, do a long run, and voila - hip pain returns. BUT...alas...I must remember my glass half full roots and the power of positive thinking!

In other news, I've been a lazy bum. I had all these high hopes of going for a run on Monday morning, followed by Yoga on Monday night. Didn't happen - first and foremost...my body was sooooo sore from that 9 mile combo run/power walk on Sunday. I used different muscles in my legs than I normally do when I run, I think. Also, my arms are still sore - I must have been swinging them like nobody's business! I averaged 14:46 per mile, so I was going pretty fast there considering over half the distance was walked. I guess I don't have to be so hard on myself, though, because I'm not going to be laid out for a week or two now that I'm not getting the shot.

Oh, and I finally decided to do something about my hydration issues. I bought this cool hydration bottle from Target yesterday (when I was supposed to be at Yoga). It holds 16 0z. and my plan is to fill it every hour while at work (oh...and to drink it). It even has a cool latch thing, so I can hook it onto my purse if my hands are full. I think my muscles would recover faster if they were properly hydrated, don't you? I mean I truly am ridiculous. I can go all day long without drinking anything and I am not proud about this...it was a terrible habit I got into long, long ago. I use to HATE water and I avoided it at all costs. I don't mind it now, in fact with the exception of iced tea while at restaurants and a daily glass of skim milk, water is all I drink.

AND last, but not least...a Penelope update...2 weeks post surgery and she is doing well. I took her cone off on Saturday because we were both tired of me scratching her ears for her. You see, there is a good chance a cone-wearing dog can get an ear infection because they can't perform their own ear maintenance. She was miserable. I was miserable. I had to trust she would leave her demon eye alone. Yes, that's right...I said demon eye. It looks red, ugly, and scary, but rest assured...it will turn grayish/bluish eventually as did her left eye. We had a follow-up eye doctor appointment today so that she could get her stitches removed (she was a very brave girl) and they were pleased as punch with her progress thus far. We won't have to go back for another 5 weeks. Oh...and it's much more peaceful in my home without Penelope ramming her cone into every wall and every piece of furniture...she has a much better sense for everything (magically) coneless (go figure)!

4 comments:

That Pink Girl said...

Yay for healed hips! And that water bottle is cuuuute. How could you NOT stay hydrated with something so stylish?!?!

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to like water, I really am.

huzzah for hips without pain! :) So exciting!

Lauren @ Team Giles said...

So proud of you for working on your H2O! :) stay hydrated... maybe your hip will keep behaving then ;)

Melissa-D said...

I think I need a new bottle. Does it come in purple! : )