Wednesday, November 3, 2010

not your traditional pudding

I'm a fairly open-minded girl when it comes to most things.  At the very least, I always try to see "the other side".  I am not so open-minded when it comes to food.  Or at least I have not been so open-minded in the past.  Something has come over me this year and I'm eating and creating all sorts of weirdness (by my interpretation).  I still have my standards, though...I will never ever try clam chowder.  =P

This year I've eaten sushi.  the raw kind.  ewwwww.

This year I've eaten mussels.  ewwwww.

This year I've put spinach in my smoothies.  yummmmm.

This year I've put pumpkin in my chili.  yummmmm.

Now...I've done the ultimate in odd.  I'm made chocolate pudding without Jello brand pudding mix.  I did it with an avocado as the base.  Also...it's made with almond milk (another newby for me).

Earlier this year, Lauren told me she had it before and loved it.  She recalled the recipe having agave nectar in it.  It isn't that I have any personal issues against agave nectar, it's just that I do follow the South Beach diet, so I try to go sugar free or use sugar substitutes.

I have been laying low on the exercise front this week trying to rest this leg injury into submission (hoping to be able to participate in Saturday's 13 miler with my running group), so I've been cooking and baking South Beach, phase 1 foods (since I'm on the second week of taking that step back to get my cravings in check) in my spare time.  I had this notion to make the pudding today, but I wanted to find a recipe that did not have honey or agave nectar in it.

I heart Google.  I found one right away.  I used this as my base recipe.  Now, keep in mind this is not a low calorie pudding or even a low fat one.  It is rich in nutrients, however - healthy fats, protein, fiber.  I can attest that it is incredibly decadent, creamy, and extremely filling.

Here's what you need:

1 large avocado
1/4 cup + 2 TBSP almond butter (I used Maranatha)
1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I used Jillian's)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
6 packets of sugar substitute
a pinch of salt
1/2 cup of chocolate unsweetened almond milk
1 TSP vanilla

Here's what you do:

Mix the avocado and almond butter together.
Add dry ingredients - protein powder, sugar substitute, cocoa powder, and salt

Add in the liquid ingredients - almond milk and vanilla.
Mix thoroughly.
Chill.
Serve.
Enjoy.

Oh...supposedly it's 4 to 6 servings.  I'm thinking maybe 3 or 4, but then again I apparently have a heavy hand when it comes to scooping.  ;)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, amazing! I love chocolate pudding (and clam chowder, but not together). I hope you get better so you can do the long run on Saturday!

Tales from the Back of the Pack said...

Hmm...clam chowder isn't weird...or is it?

It's so fun taking recipes and tweaking them just so in order to fit your goals. For me that usually means low cal. It's the same when you're ordering out and ask for grilled chicken instead of fried, hold the cheese, dressing on the side, etc.

Whaaat's that? Is there a pumpkin chili recipe around here?

Lauren @ Team Giles said...

Ooo this sounds like a great recipe!! :)

That Pink Girl said...

Im totally suspect but I KNOW you wouldn't lead me astray. Hmm, might have to try it. Although I'm pretty much an avocado eating machine so it might never make it go the pudding stage...

Melissa-D said...

Avocado, really? Wow...Interesting!