Let's talk about how much I *love* waking up at 5am on a Saturday. Let's one-up the early birding with 38 degree weather, shall we?!
Since I am not eating bread carbs right now, I made myself a breakfast of 2 hard boiled eggs, 2 lite mini baby bell cheeses, and 2 TBSP of almond butter. I washed it all down with water.
I geared up with Nike capris, a light weight long sleeve shirt, my shoes, my Spibelt, my Garmin, my iPod Shuffle, and my visor. I stretched VERY thoroughly and then headed out the door at 6:45am.
I had a positive attitude. I knew that I might not be able to do all 13, but I felt that surely I would be able to do the same 7 I had done the week before. I promised myself I would stop if I hurt.
My team met up at the picnic table, discussed the plan of action, and headed out. I had a bit of a struggle with my iPod. It wasn't working and I panicked that I was going to have to run without it. Just me and my thoughts?! Yikes! No worries...got it working. I started jogging and BAM...pain in my thigh...all the way around it. That is where the pain has moved to - from the hamstring to the glutes, back to the hamstring, then to the entire thigh/upper leg. Do you see how this is the weirdest injury ever?! It keeps moving. I'm thinking at this rate, in two weeks, it's going to be in my ankle. Sheesh!
I just stopped. What was the point? I could feel myself running with a limp. I don't want to put myself out of commission, so I turned around and walked back to my car. I almost cried. I wanted to, but I stopped myself. I am not giving up here. I have done everything that I could on my own, so it's time to take it to a doctor (I will call my ortho on Monday and make an appointment). What's my biggest fear here? It's not really that he will tell me not to run, because I don't believe my injury is that serious. He didn't tell me to stop running when I had the tendonitis in my hip, after all. My biggest fear is losing my training. I don't feel like I can go another week of nothing and then be expected to pick up where I left off. I feel like if I don't pick up where I left off, I will be getting too far behind to catch up. In other words...continuing to build distance is going to be a problem.
I have a plan. I'm going to the gym tomorrow morning. I want to try the elliptical first. It's low impact and I control the intensity/tension of the machine. I will know instantly as to whether or not it is aggravating my injury. If it does, I get off and try the bike. If it doesn't, I do 13 miles. I know it isn't the same, but it's something.
I don't know if I've mentioned it on my blog before, but I consider my theme song to be Christina Aguilera's
"Fighter". Most of the song applies to my life regarding a rather unfortunate experience I had (for several years), but that withstanding...isolating some select lyrics can be applied to this situation:
Makes me that much stronger
Makes me work a little bit harder
Makes me that much wiser
So thanks for making me a fighter
I am a fighter. I'm going to fight my way through this injury. You fight for what you believe in. I believe in me. I just have to fight smart.

6 comments:
I believe in you, too! You listened to your body-that's awesome. Do what your body needs you to do-Listen.
I'm having similar problems and heading to the elliptical tomorrow too. I feel your pain!! Hang in there, you'll get this all figured out. I hated walking home on my last run too.
Glad you decided to take it easy. With all my crazy pains, I definitely know how you feel. I hope things go well on the elliptical and at the doctor.
I am so glad you did not push through and hurt yourself more or worse put yourself out of commission from further injury.
Good luck with the elliptical and with the doc!
"I believe in me." LOVE your attitude!!! I believe in you too.
Unfortch, injuries happen, especially when you start ramping up that mileage. But you are doing all the right things. Good job listening to your body! It knows when to say when, you just have to be a good listener. And way to go knowing when to consult a professional. We can diagnose ourselves all day long on the Internet (and usually come to the conclusion it's something dire and life threatening...) but your doctor can help you get to the root of the real problem.
Hang in there. You will be through this soon!
With all your optimism you can't fail. The elliptical isn't just "something" it's a Workout. I am always surprised at the calories burned when I do equivalent miles on the ell. Hope your injury is easily diagnosed so you can get back to the business of running ASAP.
Post a Comment