Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Incessant Chatter


Exercise and I did not get along with each other last week. I think I pushed myself a bit too hard the week before and my thighs were *killing* me. It's kind of a good feeling, though, you know?! First and foremost, I was thankful my knees were happy. I worry about them since I had ACL surgery on my left one my Junior year in high school and surgery on my right one my Senior year in college. The cold also killed my jogging/walking plans for the weekend. I know, I know I'm a total pansy. You are probably wondering why I didn't just hit the treadmill at the gym. Um...that is so way more intimidating than running in public in my subdivision. I'm weird that way, not to mention I kinda like my whole run two light fixtures / walk one routine that I have going for now (remember...I'm new at this). They don't have light fixtures at the gym, so I'd be completely thrown off and the look of confusion upon my face would probably scare some other gym members and that isn't even fair to them. I'm a huge advocate of fair.

BUT, alas...that isn't even what this blog is about. No, no...it's about so much more. So because of my lack of exercise last week, I fell behind the 8-ball and so I must make up for it. I'm kind of all-or-nothing that way. This means I decided I must hit the gym every morning this week come rain or shine (or ridiculously cold weather) no matter what kind of sleep I get or what kind of pain I'm in or what kind of mood I'm in, etc etc etc...

Monday went without a hitch. In fact, dare I say it was a motivated, fantasmic work-out?! BUT, alas...that isn't even what this blog is about either. We are leading up to today's work-out. At 4:45am, my alarm sounded the start of my day. I arrived at the gym and picked out my elliptical. I clipped my iPod shuffle and started working those glutes. About 10 minutes into my workout, these two girls appear and take the two machines beside me. They are clearly friends and they are clearly there to workout their mouths.

I turn my iPod's volume up incrementally to try to block out their incessant chatter, which, by the way, was totally reminiscent of my brother and brother-in-law's incessant chatter when we all went to workout while in Vegas over Thanksgiving. It was annoying, to say the least. At some point, I was *this close* to blowing out my ear drums, I swear.

I know what you are thinking. Isn't that funny coming from Kim? She's the #1 incessant chatterer. Whatever, dudes. There are times for incessant chatter and times for kicking it into gear and the gym is time to SHUT-UP. Plus, for the record, it isn't incessant chatter when it provides the masses with amusement. Anyway, I know it sounds like I'm being totally harsh, but I have to explain something else. I get very easily side-tracked and I'm quite clumsy. I try very hard to stay in "the zone" because if I don't I will fall off my machine.

I do the whole "look mom, no hands" thing on the elliptical which is all fun and games until some girl starts talking to another girl about what her boyfriend did the night before and then the gossip girl in me comes out (read: no matter how loud my music is, I'm secretly straining to listen in) and then the next thing you know, I'm all off balance and I almost "Boom Boom Pow" my way off that machine.

Good thing they only lasted 7 minutes in their "workout". Sheesh.

1 comment:

Melissa-D said...

I'm the same way!! I hate it when people are talking at the gym around me because I want to listen to them more than do my workout! Ha. I'm proud of you for getting to the gym that early though!