Monday, May 16, 2011

Day 19: Parents Just Don't Understand...or do they?

from our High Tacky Texas Tea
Day 19 - Disrespecting your parents

This little challenge intrigues me.  I mean some of the days are so obvious like 30 facts about yourself clearly states that one is to list 30 facts about oneself.  Then there is this whole weird one that leaves me perplexed as to what it wants from me.  Does it want me to tell of a time I disrespected my parents?  Seems kind of silly at this stage of the game / time of my life.  I'm 34, after all.

For the most part, I was a good kid.  Sure, sure...my mouth always got me into trouble.  I really really like to have the last word.  I really really don't like to be told "no".  Somethings never change, by the way.  =D 

I never snuck out of the house.

I never hung out with people my parents didn't approve of (well...until him, but I was 29, so...)

I never did drugs.

I never stole.

Yep...my parents are pretty fortunate to have me....or...um...perhaps I am pretty fortunate to have parents who raised me right.

In case you haven't caught on, I come from a very close-knit family.  We get together every Saturday for family lunch.  This past Saturday, following family lunch, we all went to the movies together.  I speak with my parents and most of my siblings pracitically every day.  We truly enjoy spending time together and this, my friends, is priceless.

I think there is a ding Ding DING moment that goes off in every person's head at some point in their life (assuming the individual grew up in a loving home) when they realize how gosh darn lucky they are.  Mine was in college.  It just took hearing other people's stories or knowing other people's situations to make me realize how truly blessed I was/am.  My relationship with my parents has just continued to blossom over the years.  I do not take it for granted.

Here is what I will say...my parents made it clear they were not our friends back then.  They established rules and made us adhere to them.  Even when other kids were allowed to do things, my parents stuck to their guns based on their value system.  The parentals had a solid foundation and were united in supporting it.  We never doubted their love for each other or for us.

I only hope to be the same kind of parent someday to my own children.

how cute are they?



7 comments:

LaShaune said...

Great photos of your parents, especially your dad with his raised pinky!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha you're parents ARE lucky to have you!

Greggy-D said...

You do have some pretty rockin' parents! Seeing how many of my students have pretty messed up homes, it really does make me appreciate my parents! PS. the last pic of your parents is my favorite.

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food said...

ohh Kim your post makes me smile! It sounds like you have a wonderful family and particularly lovely parents. Its so great that you all have such a close relationship and I am sure they love reading that you want to be a parent just like them :) It's the biggest compliment of all!

Craig said...

Your Dad looks "YUGE" next to Woody...

Tales from the Back of the Pack said...

Aww, I love it when the parentals are still married. What a great example. My parents split up when I was 35 and I'm still reeling from the stigma of being from a broken home. Lol...not really but still...every marriage has challenges and the fact that yours continue to rise to them and stay committed is so freaking amazing.

We should all be so lucky.

That Pink Girl said...

I love how much you love your parents!