Can you believe I actually cooked? I know, right? It's been a long, long time since I've posted a recipe.
I've been kind of disgusted with myself lately...I've so not been on the wagon. It's quite frustrating because back when I first started my lifestyle changed, I was so committed...so focused and it was...easy. Then my injury happened and well...I guess I've been in kind of a funk since then. It seems every week I "try" to recommit only to fail. Has this ever happened to you? Please tell me I'm not alone. I've said it before...I'm terribly undisciplined. Sure, sure...I have it in me to be disciplined, but it takes soooo much work (can you just hear my whine?). ;)
I came up with a new idea. I'm calling it "The Same Game". I plan on eating basically the same thing for breakfast and lunch every single day with a healthy light meal for dinner (at least that's this week plan - hahaha). Yeah, I have no idea how long I will be content with this, but for now, here goes:
Breakfast - a Jay Robb smoothie made with unsweetened almond milk and a banana. I can, of course, opt to turn this into a green monster by adding spinach.
Lunch - a peanut butter and jelly sammy with a Carb Master yogurt and either a colored pepper or a cucumber. I am, of course, using Simply Jif as it has less sugar than regular PB. My jelly of choice is Polaner's Sugar Free Orange Marmalade.
Snack - fruit. This week it's blackberries as they were on sale at Kroger for $1.00.
Dinner - a bag of frozen veggies with some kind of light meal preferably sans bread carbs (meaning no rice, pasta, sweet potato, or bread)
I am allowing myself the addition of a Clif's bar or a Larabar on workout days for additional fuel. I also recognize that because I am a social butterfly of sorts (read: single girl), there will probably be a dinner outing once a week in which case I will do my best to plan ahead and choose my selections wisely.
Okay, enough about all that business. Onto my recipe. Every day Allrecipes.com sends me their recipe of the day. Today's was Cheesy Chicken Meatballs. I thought this sounded yummy, so I clicked on the link. See the original recipe for yourself by going here.
I wouldn't be me if I didn't change up a recipe to make it my own, now would I? First of all, the grocery store I went to didn't have ground chicken which forced me to make Cheesy Turkey Meatballs instead. The original recipe also called for vegetable oil to be added to the meat mixture. This addition didn't make sense to me and seemed unnecessary. I read the reviews to see if anyone left this ingredient out, but all anyone mentioned was swapping olive oil for the vegetable oil which totally makes sense IF the oil is necessary. I consulted with younger sister Linda and my cute mom and they both agreed the oil could most likely be nixed (and they were right).
CHEESY TURKEY MEATBALLS
Ingredients
1.25 lbs 97% lean ground turkey
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup of Italian Cheese & Herb Cooking Creme
1/4 cup of Reduced Fat Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/4 cup of Panko bread crumbs
1 TBSP Italian seasoning
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp Adobo seasoning
Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray the bottom of a cookie sheet with Pam. Mix all the above ingredients together and form into balls. I used an ice cream scooper and made large meatballs. Warning - this is VERY messy. In total, I made 15 meat balls. Bake for 17-18 minutes.
The Dish
I wanted to make a "pasta" dish with spaghetti squash, but after having no luck in finding a spaghetti squash in two different stores, I gave up and went for zucchini instead. I sliced up my zucchini in thin slices and then boiled it. I then drained it and plated it. Next, I topped my zucchini with fire-roasted diced tomatoes and a bit of shredded Parmesan cheese. I have to say the dish was delightful and I look forward to having it again tomorrow night. Oh and yes...it is South Beach Friendly (Phase 2 because of the bread crumbs).
I'm also hoping to post a new recipe each week!
Have you ever played "The Same Game"?


5 comments:
(This is Meredith, blogger isn't letting me sign in for some reason.)
That recipe looks so delicious! I am definitely making that next week.
I totally know what you mean by feeling undisciplined. I remember watching a promo for something on OWN where the lady said, "every morning I wake up on a diet, and every evening I end in failure." I can so relate to that. But I have to remind myself it's about persistence, not perfection.
that looks SO GOOD. and well, you've already read my last post so you know that I am having a rough time eating healthy right now as well. It comes in cycles for me, eating healthy, so right now I've cut out desserts in an attempt to jump start my healthy eating. I'm going to have to give those meatballs a try. Zucchini pasta? GENIOUS.
You are making me hungry. No fair, I gotta go run soon.. can't eat!
KIM! You've been such an inspiration to me as I've tried to find the motivation to lose this baby weight. I hope now I can somehow return the favor. I eat the same meals for an entire week and it helps so much because it takes all the thinking out of it. Contact me if you need any positive feedback or motivation or support in any way. WE CAN DO IT!
That looks delish...you're such a great cook! To respond to your blog - I do the same thing daily. I have good intentions daily, but then something yummy passes by me and I can't resist. It's a huge possibility in this house with Chef Greggy around! =) You, as always, are a motivation to me!
Post a Comment