I'm trying to be in better spirits about February than I was about January, so bear with me here while I work my way through it. One of my
So, on Sunday I went out to watch the Houston Chevron Marathon. My friend Melissa was running her very first. I was supposed to be running this race, but the ol' pelvic stress fracture took that opportunity away from me. I wasn't really so sad about that when I took note of the weather that day. The temperature was between 68 to 72 degrees and it was quite humid and drizzling most of the day. I felt sorry for the runners and was quite thankful that it wasn't my first marathon. Now, watch it be identical conditions next year when I embark upon my "adventure". Oye. Our first stop was Mile 6. It was pretty cool because we got there so early that we were able to watch all the
The marathon got me thinking about my plans for improving my running and achieving my goals. I told myself that it's time to stop the pity party and time to start conquering my demons! Tuesday morning, I got up at 4:30am and went out for a run. It was 68 degrees and ridiculously humid. A few hours later, it was 38 degrees. What is going on Houston?! Sheesh! Last night I went out to run my coldest run EVER - it was 29 degrees (20 with the wind chill). I managed 2.75 miles. Post run, my house felt like an inferno compared to the chilly outdoors.
In other news, I booked my vacation yesterday. Uber excited about this. Since I'm going out to Los Angeles to run the Orange County Half Marathon on May 1st, I thought I should incorporate that into my vacation. It's really cool that I don't have to run this race alone. A friend / co-worker of mine from NJ is coming out to Cali with her husband (also a co-worker of mine) to visit their son and daughter-in-law who live in the same area where my brother and sister-in-law live. This will be her first half marathon, though she is quite the runner! I'm heading out on Saturday, April 30th, and I will stay out there until Wednesday, May 4th. On the 4th, I will head out to Greenville, SC to visit one of my best friends and her husband. I haven't seen them since October '09. I will stay with them until the 8th when I will arrive back in Houston JUST in time to celebrate Mother's Day with my family! This means the mini triathlon I was going to do on May 8th is out. I'm okay with that, though. I think I really would rather focus on running this year and then I can consider a tri next year.
I also did more race shopping - one of my favorite things to do. I discovered the Hippity Rock Half Marathon in Cypress, TX (VERY local) on April 23rd. Do the math, my friends - this is 8 days before my Orange County Half Marathon. Call me cRaZy, but I decided to take the plunge and register for it...I really want to be comfortable with the half marathon distance so that the marathon won't be quite so daunting for me. I also found the See Jane Run Half Marathon in Austin on October 9th. This is an all women's half. I'm about 90% sure I'll be doing this one, as well. Their slogan is "i run for champagne and chocolate." How much do I love that?!
Well there you have it - you can tell, I'm sure, that now I'm all kinds of excited about what is in store for me running-wise, so my body better be in agreement! =D


9 comments:
The Hippity Roc is on my tentative/most likely list. I like the looks of the course, even though there wasn't a map the last time I looked the area looked cool.
I am also considering doing back to back half marathons in March - my family thinks I'm nuts. My training plan called for back to back 13/14 mile runs so I figure why not do them at races where I get water and some support.
Hang in there girl Spring will be here soon. But I must say you rock getting out in the cold last night! The weather here has been crazy cold! I have never experienced planned rolling outages so it was kind of 3rd world country for me?!?! I love the sound of the See Jane Run half. Might have to do that one myself. Sounds like you got some good plans for this year.
I'm so excited to do another race with you! :D
Woo to the hoo for booked vacations - yaaaay you!
And thank you for hollering youself hoarse on the coarse. Houston had the BEST spectators EVAH! Man, y'all were supa awesome! So sad I didn't see you, I was so zoned out I couldn't even tell you what mile 6 looked like.
And a race called Hippity Rock? Hmm, I might have to venture down South for something that sounds so fun!!! You're giving me ideas - I've been looking for other halfs this Spring...
You will be ready, when it's your time. OMG running for champagne and chocolate? Sounds ah-mazing!
I love that slogan!!!!
Girl, you will be ready. Im excited for you!!
Sounds like life is moving forward for you, happy for you about the trips :)
How do you change your blog appearance to these cool looking ones?
I like the idea of the Champagne and Chocolate race! I'm finding more info on your site for races, then I've found through my own searches.
SHOOOOOOT! Your race here in LA is EXACTLY when I'm going to be in Houston for my sister's wedding. I leave the 28th and return the afternoon of the 1st. Bummer. But if you want to hang out after that and before your next leg of your journey, let me know!!! I sooooooo wanted to cheer you on in person. :(
Post a Comment