Tuesday, February 15, 2011

little victories

Yo, what's up buttercups?

I've just been struggling with my long runs across the board.  for reals.


My week day runs go down like a smooth piece of Milka chocolate (flashback to my college month-long European trip and a slight obsession I may or may not have had with that particular brand).  Well, that is if you consider listening to me plodding along huffing and puffing as smooth.  I guess my point is that I git 'm done.

My long runs...er....that's a whole different story.  I seem to ALWAYS get a ridiculously late start and I seem to lack direction - not in the sense of which way to go, but rather how do I go about handling this business.  Let me explain.  First and foremost, understand that I'm an over-thinker.  I prefer (apparently) to burn my calories by way of worrying and fretting and stressing as opposed to actually just doing CLEARLY.  Why else would I get myself into such a tizzy over that which will work itself out?!

I hate intervals.  I feel like it takes a lot of effort to start and stop and then start and stop and....oh you get the idea.  I feel like once you get the momentum going, it's best to just go with it.  That being said, some days I just don't have it in me...every 1/4 of a mile seems like an eternity of trudging through thigh-high mud.  I seem to be faster with the intervals because that little walk break rejuvenates me for the running intervals, but that being said, running without intervals builds my endurance.

I have my first race this weekend - the Chick-fil-A 5K - and I know I have zero shot of getting a PR if I run the mileage without intervals / walk breaks.  I also know that if I run the mileage without intervals, it will be my first 5K to do this and that, in itself, is an accomplishment.

Tonight, I set out to do 3 miles (sans intervals).  I could tell it was going to be a slow mileage day.  For some reason, I was just not moving at my usual speed (which is also quite slow, but this was SLOW, if you catch my drift).  I actually felt okay, though.  I attribute this to the fact that I made a decision to NOT run the cul-de-sacs anymore.  All this time, I've been running every cul-de-sac I encounter to "add" to the neighborhood mileage so that I don't have to create new routes or run loops.  I decided cul-de-sacs are hard on my body and so they were removed from my routing.  For the first time in a long time, I felt like I actually got my breathing somewhat under control (maybe because I was going so slow?).  I ended up doing 4.25 miles.  This is my longest week day run EVER (even before injury).  It is also my longest run without intervals post-injury.

For now, I choose to celebrate the little victories, so yay to 4.25 miles without intervals ON A WEEKNIGHT, no less!

And while we are at it...what shall we celebrate for you?

4 comments:

That Pink Girl said...

A. Can we talk about how entirely SMALL your waist is in that photo? Ahem.
B. You GO GIRL running straight thru!
3. Not every race is meant to PR. Courses are different, weather is different, and what's going on in our life is different. These all greatly impact our performance.
D. Have a great race, leave it allon the course and remember, 5Ks HURT! they just do. But you only have to handle it for a bit and I know you have it in you!!!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome running a longer run on a weeknight! Hope to see you at the 5k :-)

Melissa-D said...

Rock on!!! I've never done that much on a weeknight run. You are amazing! TPG is right...you look awesome in that pic! :)

Rebekah said...

Keep on chugging Girl! You Rock!