2010 marked my adventures in running. Adventures...they were. I ran four 5Ks, one 10K, and two half marathons. I suffered through two injuries in the process - hip tendonitis for 4 months and then most recently my pelvic stress fracture. I also started the tradition of blogging about my finishing song with each and every race!
Let's take a look, shall we?
On January 31st, I ran my very first 5K, The Rocket's Run (cuz Meliska
On February 27th, I ran my 2nd 5K, The Rodeo Run. This was NOT my favorite run. I learned some important lessons with this race, however. I learned it is best to not overdress for a race (I overheated). I learned I need my music to run (left mine at home). I learned not to start off too fast (ran my first mile in 12 minutes and I'm so not a 12 minute mile girl). This race was not time chipped for the 5Kers - which, by the way, is lame, so I don't have an official time. I do know that it was definitely higher than my Rocket's Run time. I did enjoy racing with my friends Meliska (turned out to be her last race because she was preggers with Liam), Greggy-D, Lauren, Rodney, and Meliska's parents! Finishing Song: none =(
On March 13th, I ran my first 10K, Bayou City Classic. I loved this race. I did this one with my younger sister, Linda, and our friend Melissa (not the preggers one). Lauren and her sister also ran it, but I never did see them. =( It was very nicely organized race and perfect running weather. I remained strong and steady during this race despite the tendonitis giving me a lot of trouble on the second leg of this race - I was proud of my 1:26:38 finish. Here's a picture of Linda and I sporting our t-shirts later that day. Finishing Song: Pocketful of Sunshine (Natasha Bedingfield)
On April 10th, I ran the Tomball Bunny Run with Lauren and Rodney. They had run this race the year before and loved it. I have to admit it was so nice to participate in a local race for a change! This was not time chipped, BUT I had received my Garmin for my birthday, so this was the first race I was able to run wearing it. I also successfully incorporated 4/1s to my race (versus the 3/1s I had done previously) which lead me to a PR of 39:40. What made this especially exciting was that I had set a goal to beat 40 minutes and I accomplished that goal with sheer determination and hard work! I like my look in this picture - it's totally all retro 70s with my sweatband and 'fro! Finishing Song: I Will Survive (Gloria Gaynor)
I then took a race hiatus for a few months while I trained for my first half marathon - the Chicago Rock 'n' Roll Half which was on August 1st. My friend Bobbi Jo came to Chicago and ran this race with me. We stayed downtown with my grandmother the night before the race. My two double cousins, Danielle and Nicole joined us, as did cousin Courtney from New Albany, Ohio. My aunt, Danielle, Nicole, and Courtney were an awesome support crew chasing us around the race with drinks! I did pretty well the first half of the race with my 4/1s, but then the charlie horses attacked me and I speed walked the second half of the race. I ended up being a bit disappointed with my 3:24:39 finish since I knew I was capable of better. My body and pride were sore, but I picked up the pieces and returned to Houston to begin marathon training with my running group. Finishing Song: Low (Flo Rida)
On September 11th, I ran the Bearkat Bash. This was a great race of irony for me as I hated running the mile in high school - it was a source of embarrassment, frustration, and stress for me so many years ago and here I was willing to pay money to run 3 times that ON PURPOSE. My how times had changed! The thing was that my running group was scheduled to run 7 miles that day, so my coach had wanted us to run before the race, so I ran 3 miles - some at the park and then I ran to the race with just enough time to rush to the bathroom and then start the race. I must have been slightly dehydrated because after the second mile, I had some issues with charlie horses AGAIN and this caused me to have to walk most of the 3rd mile. This sucked because I had run the first 5 miles of my day. My time was terrible at 47:40. I felt horrible. I would have rather run this 5K and then run another 3 or 4 miles afterwards to save face on my time than have performed how I did. On the positive side, though, Lauren and her sister, Sarah, participated in this race, as well, so it was nice to familiar friendly faces when I was feeling LOW. Finishing Song: Mr. A-Z (Jason Mraz)
On October 24th, I ran the Houston Half with my friend Melissa (it was her first half marathon) This race was a bit daunting for me as it had a 3 hour time limit and I knew I would be pushing it. My goal was to run the entire distance outright (as I had long ago dropped my run/walk method) and just walk through the water stations and/or when my siblings passed me off G2. Around mile 3, I started hurting. I thought it was my hamstring. Somewhere between mile 3 and mile 4, I saw my siblings and their spouses - they were awesome, by the way - and they passed me off a drink and I told them the "hills" (meaning entrance ramps) were killing me. I proceeded to run the race, but something was wrong. There was one turn-around in the race, but before I could get there, the police forced a whole bunch of us to turn early. I was EXTREMELY UPSET. At that point, I was 3 minutes behind where I needed to be to finish in the 3 hour time limit. I felt they had taken my half marathon from me. I almost gave up. I almost quit the race. It took everything in me to continue - and I do mean everything because I was tired and I was hurt and I was defeated, BUT I kept on. My finish time doesn't really matter here because it's not legitimate. I didn't actually complete this half marathon if we are being technical. Finishing Song: Low (Flo Rida). Does anyone else think it's weird that both of my half marathons had the same finishing song? I just now realized this!!!
I was supposed to do the RunGirl 13.1 on December 12th. Remember how I previously discussed being hurt? Turns out I somehow got a stress fracture in my pelvis during that half marathon. I had to drop out of the RunGirl (BUT I really look forward to doing this race next year with my Meliska as it is an all girl half marathon). I also had to defer my Houston Marathon 2011 registration to the Houston Marathon 2012.
It is very difficult not to feel like a failure looking back at the last few months of my running. I know that isn't fair. In some ways, writing this post made me kind of relive it all. In other ways, it makes me want to come back with a vengeance! 2011 is going to be my year! I'm going to run smarter and stronger! I am already registered for 2 races with another 3 planned. I honestly think cross-training is going to be the key to keeping me injury free. I think proper hydration is going to keep those charlie horses at bay. I think that for a first year runner with no previous running experience at all - well...I guess I didn't do half bad.
Cheers to 2011!






8 comments:
Hey, don't forget 2011!! It's going to be a great year too.
I love how you reviewed the year with stories of your races. I feel like I'm all caught up, since I only started blogging/following in October.
Happy New Year!
haha! I meant 2011! I don't know why I typed 2012 twice on here - just corrected it! I can't believe I'm so willing to jump a year given how fast time is already flying by! yikes!
Kim you are amazing! You are soaring through running! You improve tremendously each month. You're awesome girl. I can't wait to see what 2011 brings you! :)
That a lot of races! Like Lauren said, you are AMAZING! I can't wait to see all that you accomplish in 2011.
Um, cousin Courtney is NOT from Groveport, where the warehouse is conveniently located... I'm in lovely New Albany, not grungy Groveport... :)
So duly noted - it has been corrected, my dear - whatever was I thinking?! =P
Man, you ran a lot of races last year! And to think you started it off with your first 5K - boy you have accomplished A LOT this year! You are an inspriation to many and once amazing woman! Can't wait to see what you accompmlish in 2011 - there is no stopping you!
A failure?? Did you read your blog!?!!? Don't let those injuries and a few bad races ruin your amazing accomplishment! I am so impressed with how far you've come this year and I can't wait to see what this year will hold!
Post a Comment