Saturday, December 11, 2010

visions of races dance through my head

I feel a wee bit pathetic as I sit on my love seat this Saturday night, alone.  Well...I have one dog who managed to manipulate her way onto my lap and another who is hogging my foot space, but you get the idea.  What am I doing here?  Ahhh...well...I'm shopping, but not for Christmas presents as you might think.  Nope, I'm shopping for races.  I'm longingly looking up info for anything from local 5Ks to out of town half marathons starting anytime after February 1st.

Officially, so far, I'm only signed up for a 10K in Houston on 3/12 and a half marathon in Dallas on 3/27.  I want to add so many more races to this list, but I know it would be irresponsible at this point considering the last two races I registered for I am unable to participate in.  It hurts me that there is a half marathon going on tomorrow that I registered for 2 1/2 months ago and that I cannot run.  It hurts me that I cannot run at all right now and that I'm not 100% sure when I will be able to do so again.  I need to run.  I need to race.  I need to know that even though I'm not very good at running or racing, I can put time and energy into something and feel a sense of accomplishment while I'm doing it.  Right now I just feel depressed.  So, I shop for races.

There is a local 5K on 2/12 I have my eye on.
There is a local 10K on 2/26 I am considering.
There is a half marathon on 5/1 in Orange County that would be cool to do.

You see, I didn't run any races in May, June, or July this year and thus noticed a lack of enthusiasm in my runs during those months.  2011 isn't going to go down like that.  I want to have a minimum of one race per month, but ideally two if I can swing it in the schedule!  Races bring forth a certain excitement to the game - an adrenaline rush.  I need that!  I crave that!

*sigh*  I just need to get better, so I can officially sign up for these 3 races and many more!

4 comments:

MayRay said...

The 5K sounds promising...it's a good length of time out, and there's always a chance that you could walk it instead of run it. Actually, I might register for that one :)

Melissa-D said...

I'll join you for as many as I can!!! Well...the June and July races we'll have to discuss...thus IS Texas afterall! Ha

Unknown said...

Love the idea of one race a month next year. You'll get there!

That Pink Girl said...

Planning ahead for races is always fun. And your plans sound right no target with your progress. You'll be fresh and rested come February and ready to hit the pavement for that 5K!