
I walk away slightly disappointed with my performance on this race. I did not beat my previous time, though it can be argued that I also gave up on even trying to do so. What happened? Hmmm...where to begin???
I looked up the weather the night before and all indications were that it was going to be 48ish during the race. This is pretty cold, though not the coldest I've run in, so I decided to modify my outfit slightly. Last race I wore a long sleeved running shirt, a sweatshirt hoodie, gloves, and my running pants. This time I decided to wear a short sleeved running shirt, a light weight running jacket, and my running pants. I pinned my bib on the outside of my jacket, so I was therefore committed to wearing it. Despite that, I found myself ridiculously overheated shortly after mile one and I had no choice but to take it off (or die) and tie it around my waist for the remainder of the race - which meant no bib showing. Lesson learned - it is better to be underdressed in running than overdressed.
I was running with my "fanny pack". I ran the last race with one as well, but it only had an extra stick of gum, my car key, chapstick, and of course a bottle of water. This time, I added a camera, some Kleenex, and my cell phone. This added significant weight. To make matters worse, I started off running with the bottle and pouch in the small of my back and the water bottle fell off near the beginning of the race, which sorta broke my concentration. I was able to get it back, thankfully. Lesson learned - less is best. Find a way to lighten the load. I may also need to find a better "fanny pack" - one that has a secured bottle.
I decided to skip the iPod this time. All races strongly discourage the runners from having their own tunes - they consider it to be a safety hazard. Whatever. Regardless, I always run with music...it helps me get into a zone. I decided to be experimental and to try to take in the sights and the sounds. Bad idea for the girl with A.D.D. I found myself easily distracted and I never quite got my momentum maintained. Lesson learned - go with what you know and don't experiment on the races.
Since my last race (February 27th's Rocket's Run), I had incorporated a methodology to my madness - my 3 min run / 1 min walk routine. I was able to do 5 miles. Last week, I upped the ante with doing 4 min running / 1 min walking. This was when I was only able to do 4 miles. I decided to do the 4/1 for today's race in lieu of doing what was my body's true comfort zone, the 3/1. I don't think that helped me any. Lesson learned - don't push your body to do what it is not ready to do and you won't be disappointed with the results.
I think that I would have performed better had my body been a bit more limber, as well. I did not exercise this week at all since I'm nursing tendonitis in my right hip (orthopaedic doctor diagnosed and being medically treated with Voltaren) and I was trying to give it as much of a rest as possible.
Okay, so I'm not a girl who believes in regrets because I feel strongly you should learn the lesson and move on. I've listed my lessons learned up above and I will be applying them to all future runs. I'm also a big believer in finding the positive somewhere, someway. There are a few from this race. I ran a 12 minute first mile!
This is a best for me!!! I was able to experience this race with some of my favorite people - Meliska & Greggy-D (who were awesome enough to keep me company to and from the race) and Rodney & Lauren Giles (who were awesome enough to keep me company after the race PLUS Lauren kept me company during the second half of the race).
I've got 2 weeks before the HEB Bayou City 10K and I just know it's gonna be a great experience!




2 comments:
I loved doing this with you! I totally understand frustrating races. They happen a lot unfortunately. However, that makes the great ones even that much better! Always take it as a learning experience! You are amazing because you did it!
I agree completely with Melissa. She hit it on the dot! Just put this one in the bag and go on to the next one. :) You're continually improving and getting out there and doing what most think is impossible. :)
Post a Comment