
So we all know I've been dealing with this wretched horrid tendonitis in my right hip since the end of January and that I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. That 10K a couple of weeks ago caused my tendonitic (a word? sure, why not?!) hip great distress.
Here's what you don't know. I had the run of my life last Saturday. Well...you may know it if you read my Facebook status update, but whatever....humor me and pretend you didn't. Anyway, here's the deal...I set out to run 5 laps at Meyer Park which would be my 3rd and final week at mile 6 (6.35 miles, to be exact). It was a dark and dreary (HUMID) morning and I felt VERY unmotivated, but still my dedicated soul hit the pavement after my hearty South Beach pancake breakfast. For the first 2 1/2 miles, I did my usual 3/1 intervals - 3 minute runs / 1 minute walks. After that, something came over me....it was crazy...I ignored my watch and just ran. At first I told myself to try to do 1 mile without stopping as my previous best was 3/4 of a mile. After I passed the mile marker, I told myself to finish the lap. Once I finished lap #3, I still felt like I had more to give, so I told myself to continue onward for another 3/4 of a mile to make it an even 2. I just kept giving myself little mini goals to carry me through until the torrential storms poured down upon me at mile 6 forcing me to cut my run short (RAR) - after I had run 3 1/2 miles without walking a lick of it!
So...initial thoughts...dude...the area directly below my knee caps and my ankles hurt, but surprisingly...the hip just felt a bit strained. It was not nearly the pain I had felt just a week before. I went home and took an hour long Epsom salt bath (Amen!) and that helped the knee and ankle pain tremendously.
I had a follow-up Ortho appointment on Wednesday and it was such a wonderful feeling to walk in there one month later feeling infinitely better than my previous visit. The doctor told me to take one more month of the anti-inflammatory meds (Voltaren which make me think of the Volturi which makes me think of Twilight) and then refill the prescription and take them on an as needed basis there after. Once I'm done with the next 30 days of this medication, I want to start adding a mid-week timed run to my exercise regimen.
I'm told that tendonitis is one of the hardest things to cure unless the tendon has complete rest. Since we know that isn't going to happen with my training schedule, I will remain glass half-full hopeful that the pain remains at a minimal, manageable level and that I am able to continue to have awesome Saturday runs.
On tap for this Saturday...7 miles using my new Garmin Forerunner 305 - can't wait!!!
1 comment:
FUN! Let me know how it goes with the Garmin :)
Post a Comment