Monday, April 11, 2011

and then sickness happened...

I was supposed to run the Tomball Bunny Run 5K on Saturday.  I was hoping to get a new PR with this race since I PR'd this 5K last year.  Then sickness happened.

As I last posted, I had some weird side pains going on and went to my doctor on Monday.  She determined it was muscle strain and prescribed muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatory pills.  Then Tuesday evening I just started feeling blah...all chest congestion-y and whatnot, so I went to the store and bought some Mucinex and prayed that would kill it dead.  By Thursday, I still felt crappy and my cough sounded similar to a dog barking, so I decided I needed to go back to the doctor.  I didn't want to go all the way back to my doctor because it takes so long to see her with drive time and waiting time and all that jazz, so I went with Plan B.

With the parentals being on vacation, I had to go home during lunch to let their beloved Oliver out midway through the day, I decided to go to the Ready-Clinic outside the H.E.B. near my house.  Let's hear it for the rent-a-doctor who basically diagnosed me by asking me a series of questions on his computer and checking the boxes when I replied "yes".  Um...I'm pretty sure I could have done this on WebMD.  He concluded that he didn't think I had the flu.  I knew I didn't have the flu.  Once you have it as an adult, you remember it too well.  I explained to him that I needed to be better by Saturday for my race.  He told me to stick with the Mucinex and then to add Flonase.  Why he didn't give me a cough syrup, I have no idea.  Why he didn't give me some kind of antibiotic (especially considering I was running a slight fever), I have no idea.  All I know is that come Saturday, I was not better.

I was not able to run my Bunny Run.  I was not able to meet MayRay in the City as she ran her first 5K or be there when Lauren PR'd (again).  I was not able to attempt a PR of my own.  I am sad.

This also puts me behind in my own training for my two half marathons I have coming up in rapid succession.  Le Sigh.  I'm still forming my game plan, though, don't you worry.  I'm gonna kick this sickness to the curb.  I am.

In other news, I am dating the sweetest guy EVER.  He knew that my Delilah kept escaping from my yard because the back gate was cut on an angle, so he built me a new back gate over the weekend.  He also replaced some broken fence slats and put down some stuff to make my grass green (once I promised to water it).  =D  I'm not used to such niceness.  I like it.

Hope you all had a lovely weekend and that you stay allergy/illness free!

7 comments:

MayRay said...

Aaaaah you didn't tell me you were dating someone! How did I miss this?! He sounds like a keeper :) We will meet sometime soon, I just know it!

LaShaune said...

That one's a keeper! And I hope you feel better soon.

Melissa-D said...

Sweet boy indeed!! You deserve it AND much more!! I'm sorry the rent-a-quack wasn't able to help much! Next time just come to me. I'll tell you if you do or don't have the flu and I'll only charge you $50. =) Feel better, my friend!

Cheryl said...

What a nice guy! Feel better soon:)

Grape said...

I hope you feel better soon &&
your guy sounds like a keeper :)

That Pink Girl said...

Boo to being sick.
Boo to missing your race.
Cheers for guys who treat you well. You deserve the moon!

Anonymous said...

Sorry you're feeling sick :-( Glad you've got a great guy around!