Yesterday morning I Tweeted the following:
today is a new day and I'm going to be doing things a little bit differently
What did I mean by that?
Well, a wise woman I know (someone near and dear to me who I call mom) has this saying that goes something like this, "if you always do what you've always done, then you are always going to get what you've always gotten."
I'm not happy with several aspects of my life right now. I know that if I get some of it right, then most of the rest will fall into place.
4 MAJOR areas of my life need revamping - sleep, food, exercise, and attitude
They are all interconnected.
I am requiring 7 hours of sleep a night. I know I have required this before and not followed through. Believe it or not, I am capable of following a plan. I will prove it to you (and me)! =)
I am requiring a food journal of sorts. Being a South Beacher does not mean calorie counting, BUT we all know calories do count. I want to be aware of what I'm putting in my mouth as I have been quite guilty of emotional eating lately. I downloaded an application for my phone (My Fitness Pal) and I have started documenting my food. This way I can eat within my plan, monitor the calories I'm consuming, AND be accountable for everything I'm putting in my system. I've also come to realize that it's okay to feel hungry. What a concept! Let's just accept that and move on.
I am requiring cross training. I have found myself relying solely on running. Isn't that what got me into trouble to begin with (think pelvic stress fracture)? I was supposed to be incorporating cross training as soon as I was released back to running. Yeah, that lasted 3 weeks. Bad Kim! I need to do a minimum of 3 runs per week, but I also need to be cross-training twice a week with weights and/or cardio. Consider it done!
Last, but not least...attitude. I'm a quitter. I know this. I'm my own worst enemy. I know this. I'm a self-saboteur. I know this. WAIT A MINUTE. I have been all these things. Just because I have been doesn't mean I still need to be, if that makes any sense. I am the one who makes the choice of which path I follow. I can choose a path of positive thinking. I can follow the mantra of "if at first I don't succeed, try try again". I can stop being a defeatist and start being a realist. Getting to my goal weight is going to take time, patience, and a whole lot of hard work. Getting to my fitness goals is going to take time, patience, and a whole lot of hard work. Since when have I shied away from hard work? The patience issue...well that's the ticker for me, now isn't it?
I just signed up for another half marathon - The Chicago Monster Dash - October 29th. This is the 4th official one for the year. I've yet to sign up for the See Jane Run October 9th Austin half and the TriGirl 13.1 which should be returning to Humble (Houston area) in December. Assuming I hit these 2, that will be 6 for the year. Who is this girl?! She is me.
I want to be eating 13.1 for breakfast. That's something I won't have to journal - ha!
BUT for right now...let's just get me to my first half for the year, my first post-injury half for the year. It will be here in less than 5 weeks and I'm not even close to being ready. It's crunch time.
So, it's the dawn of a new day with a new plan to get me where I need to be.
Bring it.




4 comments:
Kim, do you know the book When Food Is Love by geneen Roth? It really changed my life, the way I look at emotional eating, and well, myself: ) sending love
I love this post. It is so YOU!
Girl, you can do anything you set your mind to. And yes, sleep is important. And if sleep doens't come right away, rest is. Just like you've learned to stay away, you can learn to lie down.
And I adore the Going to Bed book - Sandra Boynton is the BEST! I always buy her books for baby gifts!
And yeppers, cross training will help to keep you healthy. And work those other muscles groups in a new way! Cross training will help see you through those SIX half marys. Good golly Pete - SIX! You are a machine woman!
I love how you realize you can choose your attitude. This is something I try to focus on, but admitedly somestimes lose sight of. Thanks for the great reminder!!! (and who couldn't have a great attitude with that cutie patootie mouse wearing overalls!)
I really love this post. I think anyone could and should follow the advice you're giving yourself here.
P.S. I'm liking the St. Patty's Day theme
Love how you added the children's books to your post, very creative.
Post a Comment