Do you know I've only celebrated one Valentine's Day in my whole life? 'Tis true. Well...I mean one Valentine's Day with a dude. I wish I could say I loved it (even though he did put forth a significant effort that day), but there was so much drama leading up to it and so much drama afterwards, that looking back I might as well not even have celebrated it at all.
Of course there was that one year (many many years ago) when Becky and I went out on our Lonely Hearts date to The Potatoe Patch and...hmmm...I think to a movie, too. I've had other such good times with my single girlfriends, but let's face it...when everyone else is all lovey dovey and all the stores are filled with chocolate, roses, and hearts...you want your heart to be all filled with love, your stomach filled with chocolate, and your arms filled with roses...all from that special GUY.
There have been times when people in my life have surprised me with special little things to let me know they care. Just last week I received a package from a very thoughtful friend. Amongst cute little things like Valentine's napkins and a cute pad of paper, there was a cd of some of her favorite songs.
Today, I returned to work after taking Oliver (my parent's beloved) to the vet (he is now sporting a cone and is none to happy about it) and found this in my office:
Such a nice little gesture goes a long way in my book. See how lucky some guy will be to have me some day? I don't need the moon and the stars...
Yes, yes...I know it's a "fake holiday" or whatever people say who either don't care or are trying to make themselves feel better or are trying to make those of us who are lonely feel better, but still...come on...it's Valentine's Day.
Last year I wrote about Valentine's Day being my nemesis holiday. My brother strongly believes that everyone has nemesi (plural form?) in all categories of life, mind you, hence the labeling of such. Nothing has changed...still hate it. Maybe that's cuz nothing has changed in my love-life department...still hate that, too, while we are at it.
People say to be patient. People say it will happen when you least expect it. People say not to give up hope. People say to be thankful to have these days / this time to do as I please. People say lots of stuff. They mean well. I know they do. I'm just lonely.
Someday, maybe things will change. In the meanwhile I guess I should be thankful Valentine's Day didn't fall on a weekend this year, that I'm not involved in an unhealthy relationship, and that I have family, friends, and dogs who do love me.
For those of you who are in love, I do wish you and yours a Happy Valentine's Day.
For those of you who are like me...well...better luck next year. =/
(by the way - the pic up above is just a sampling of my mother's holiday decor...including the infamous goose)



5 comments:
I do understand the dislike of Valentine's Day. Try to spend it with things you love, running, your favorite dish, and maybe some chocolate. :-) And celebrate the love you have for family and friends.
Have a good day!
P.S. I love the potatoe patch!!
Greg and I spent V-day eating dinner at home, putting Liam to bed, and then I went to bed early. So...being married doesn't always make a difference. Ha.
ANy man will be super lucky to have you as his one day. :)
I love the duck. Does he have a name?
I've never really thought of Valentines as a romantic holiday, just a great excuse to pair red and pink together, slap glitter on anything that stands still and make countless paper heart chains!
Love the goose!
So I'm catching up on my blog reading and loved this post :) I spent Valentines alone but my dad sent me a card and package so at least I had something. Someday we WILL have Valentines with our Princes. But if I have to spend Valentines with a girl then your the best girl to have spent it with :)
Post a Comment