A new year for most means resolutions. Let's face it...many resolutions will be made, but not so many will see their way through the year. It's sorta human nature. Why? We get bored... We get tired... We get lazy... It's too hard... We don't want it bad enough... Take your pick. All of the above, perhaps?
2009 started off as a year full of intentions and fizzled out turbo fast. I somehow picked it back up in July and started on my weight loss journey losing 65 lbs by Christmas. I also incorporated regular exercise into my life at that time, as well. For the first time in a long time, I felt like I was on the right path.
2010 started off as a year full of continuing what I had begun in July, but with a new twist...a new challenge...RUNNING! I managed to lose another 40 lbs, I ran my first 5K, my first 10K, my first half marathon, and many other races. I dealt with my first two injuries, as well - first hip tendonitis for 4 months in my right hip, and then an anterior superior iliac spine avulsion (pelvic stress fracture). I weigh less than I have since I entered into high school and with the exception of my little pelvis issue, I feel great. I didn't maintain my weight loss goals, however. You see, for 10 months I practiced abstinence from the foods I was not allowed to eat. Once I started allowing the occasional treat, it was like opening the flood gates and it became harder for me to manage the diet portion of my weight loss, so I became stagnant in that arena.
2011 is the year of finishing what I started. I will reach my weight loss goals. I will reach my fitness goals. They go hand-in-hand, I realize. By weighing less, I will be a better, stronger runner. I will once again train for a marathon (Houston Chevron 2012) and hopefully, this time, injury will not prevent me from seeing it through. I am working on a plan. It is not practical to go the abstinence route, but on the same token, I need to practice a little better discretion on what I choose to splurge on.
Goals =
50 to 70 lb continued weight loss (the window exists because I've never known a normal weight as an adult (well since I was 8 years old, for that matter), so I have no idea what will look good / feel good on my frame) following the South Beach Diet
minimum of 50 miles per month = 600 miles for the year (368.6 miles in 2010)
complete 4 half marathons (already picked them out cuz that's how I roll)
compete in a minimum of one race a month (yes, even in the horrid wretched summer heat)
compete in my first mini triathlon (and if I like it, do a second one)
cross train with a concentration on arms at least 2x per week
cross train with one 24 hour fitness class per week
train for 1 marathon
work towards a 36 minute 5K (previous 5K PR is 39:40)
bring my lunch to work every day (unless I have a scheduled lunch date with a friend)
There are my goals! What are yours?
By the way...My Christmas post is totally coming...I just haven't uploaded my pics yet cuz work has been a bit nutty!
5 comments:
I love your commitment. I need to get on the ball as well. I have to get my butt in gear if I want to keep up with you!
Great goals. I like how specific you are with them. I think cross training is so important when you start upping your running plans too. Looking forward to watching your successes this year.
Awesome goals Chica. Try the Body Pump class...You will love it. I was skeptical at first, but I've taken it 3 times now and I'm hooked.
Big Props to you for all that running! I know YOU CAN DOOOOO IT.
Treats are rewards, rewards aren't food. That's my motto for 2011. Sweets are desserts and I plan to limit my cupcake consumption for the coming year.
Love your plan of action! Clearly set out goals are always the best way to start anything, everything else just falls to pieces. You continue to inspire me Kim!!
LOVE the new layout too. So January :)
If anyone can accomplish all of this - it is YOU! You are an amazingly driven woman!!! Can't wait to follow your progress in 2011 - this is going to be a great year for you!
Post a Comment