Thursday, April 15, 2010

Knot Stopping!

We know I have poor form when I drive (refer to Bad Kim to read more on that). I also have poor form when I run, too, for that matter. I'm so afraid of tripping (over my own feet, no less) that I find myself staring at the ground in lieu of looking straight ahead. It's lame really because if I were to just change my gaze, I would be able to see the ground and avoid forming some of the knots in my upper back. They are painful to the touch, y'all. It's that bad. I do treat myself quite well with my monthly membership to Massage Envy. Sometimes I even allow myself to get two massages a month, but let's face it...I need to find a way to hold myself over in between massages.

I decided on Monday to be a grown up and go to Academy to get a foam roller. I had a very specific one in mind since my Runner's World magazine showed images of how to properly use one to roll out all the trouble spots and my friend Greggy-D has demonstrated some techniques, as well. They let me down. All they had was a teeny tiny 18" red one with minimal density. This was not going to cut it and probably would have only lasted a month or two on these doozies. I then thought to go to Target because I know they have a decent Yoga section, so I thought perhaps they would want me to have peace of mind, body, and spirit by getting these darn knots removed from my body. NO SUCH LUCK...can you believe they had the same exact pansy one Academy had? Ugh!

So, I then went to trusty ol' Amazon.com. I get free 2-day shipping, but man I really hate to buy a foam roller without seeing it and holding it. How do I know what density I'm getting? I opted instead to get a Triggerpoint Massage Baller. I've thought about getting one before, but failed to do so. Perhaps my back is suffering as a result...I'm just sayin'. I got this puppy (observe image on your right) today. I knew that I could use it against a wall. I had joked to my brother-in-law, Jay, who also happens to work with me, that as soon as it arrived I was going to lock myself in the office and roll around on the floor with it. I added that I would try to not moan too load as I attacked my knots with an enthusiastic vengeance. The truth of the matter was that I just had my fingers and toes crossed that it would work. I was a bit dismayed that it was only the size of a baseball, but it did pack a powerful punch when pressed between my knot infested body and the wall.

It's kinda funny how on one hand I feel years younger taking 90+ lbs off my frame, but on the other hand, this running thing causes some aches and pains along the way. I know I'm in the best shape I've ever been in my life with daily progression to boot. I owe that to running, too. Yesterday was the first mid-week run I've done. I opted to do it AFTER work. It was sooo hard and I only ended up doing 2.6 miles. Isn't it bizarre how 2.6 miles on a hump day after work seemed almost as challenging as 7 miles on a Sunday morning? Sometimes I question me being able to do this half marathon...like am I really cut out for this? Then I remember what so many of my friends have been telling me...about how it's just as much a mental game as it is a physical game. I can do this! I will do this! 8 mile achievement this weekend will be mine!!!!

5 comments:

Allie said...

Oh Kim, you can totally do it! You're going to do awesome this weekend on your 8 miler, I have an 8 miler this weekend too, I'll be with you in spirit. :) Look at already how much you've accomplished, you can do anything girl!!!!!

Anonymous said...

YOU CAN DO IT!! You are my inspiration! no pressure or anything :)

Lauren @ Team Giles said...

You are SO cut out for this. You're inspiring people like crazy. Don't doubt yourself.

but on to that foam roller... I think I need one too. My legs have been yelling at me for WEEKS now.

Sarah said...

I'm all for foam rollers. They do help! But, seriously, I'm telling you. Try yoga! I can totally come over and we can laugh our butts off getting in weird positions. In the end, you do feel soooo much better though!

Melissa-D said...

I'm curious to see this thing!! We can also give you the place where we got our foam roller too if you decide to get one! It is totally all mental. I have a really hard time doing mid-week runs too!!!