Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Training

I've decided to train with a running group for the Chevron Houston FULL Marathon. I feel it is a very smart decision considering several different factors. Let's take a look at them, shall we???

1 - The heat and humidity are going to be huge hurdles to leap this summer. I already caught a glimpse of what is to come this past weekend and...well...it wasn't pretty. I sweat more than I ever had before and I didn't even make it my full 7, though that wasn't because of the heat or humidity (it was due to a nagging knee issue). I can only imagine what a few more months down the line will offer. I can only start soooo early by myself and not compromise my safety. A running group gives me power in numbers with a designated early start time. It's also accountability when sometimes dedication, determination, and discipline aren't enough!

2 - Though I love running in Meyer Park because is is beautiful and relatively peaceful, the course is already starting to get monotonous. A running group means pre-determined new running courses each week. Ones that I do not need to plan and ones where water will be provided for me.

3 - I am a novice in this sport. I feel I can handle the half marathon distance training by myself, but the full marathon's time limit is a bit daunting and with proper training and guidance, I feel I can conquer it.

4 - What a great way to meet new people who are involved in the same activity!!!

5 - It's only $120 and conveniently located at the YMCA near my house through a well known company called USA Fit. It's starts on July 17th and there are different levels depending on one's skill level. Oh and this is nationwide and they do half marathon training, too.

2 comments:

Lauren @ Team Giles said...

That's a great idea. I've heard of Woodlands fit, i didnt know there was a USA fit?

to dream the KIMpossible dream said...

It's all part of the same company. I'll actually be doing mine through Champions Fit, but there is also Cypress Fit and Houston Fit, etc.