Tuesday, April 27, 2010

here we go a yoga-ing


Well, I yoga-ed last night. Wanna talk about 6 degrees of separation, but like a warped version that only I would come up with that doesn't have 6 steps and probably doesn't even make sense? How about this one for ya? When I first started my weight loss journey back in July of last year, I knew I needed to hit up both diet and exercise. At first I tried Zumba classes, but we didn't get along very well. Sure, it is a most excellent work out. Yes, I felt muscles ache I didn't even know I had. Most definitely I sweat my booty off, BUT it was stressful because I just couldn't get the moves down. I'm not so good at following the leader when it comes to anything dance-like. After that, I went to water aerobics. There, I "ran into" my biology teacher from high school. Isn't that odd?! She recognized me from like 18 or 19 years ago. She said it was my smile. Apparently I really know how to light up a room. She said she remembered me being a good student. I remember barely passing her class, but whatever. Anyway, our instructor was Marcia. Marcia kept trying to get us to leave water aerobics a few minutes early so that we could attend the yoga class with her. Yoga intimidated me, so I passed (as did everyone else). Then came the winter and I dropped out of water aerobics to pursue my running. The only gym time I do is either ellipticalling or bike riding in the wee hours of the morning. Imagine my surprise when the Monday night instructor couldn't make it, so Marcia was subbing for her. Imagine my disgust when my new yoga mat smelled like formaldehyde. There you go - I had a link to water aerobics in having the same instructor for both AND I had a link to both high school biology AND water aerobics with the formaldehyde...sorta. That's like a sign or something, right??? I need to go back for more abuse most definitely, right?! Not so fast.

I learned that I apparently have no core strength at all. I always knew I have terrible posture, but this was just like kickin' a girl when she's already down (cuz there are mirrors, so you have to witness just how bad it is). My balance is on the same level as a 1 year old who is learning to walk. Did I forget anything? Was there anything I was good at? Oh...I could handle the cow and the cat pose.

I did like all the stretching. I did find the music to be relaxing (when I wasn't stressing about not being able to do some of the poses). I also know that practice makes perfect and that improvement doesn't happen overnight, so yes...I will be yoga-ing again. I don't give up so easily, after all.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Yay! I'm glad you went - the first couple times for me were sooo frustrating! But, after a few times, you realize your strength and flexibility expound quickly and it become so much better. Yay, Kimba!!

drcoopa said...

don't give up! the whole business of yoga is the journey in the poses, not the actual poses themselves! I've been doing yoga for 5+ years now and I'm STILL being readjusted in my down-dog and falling down in the tree pose. You gotta check the ego at the door and instead focus on what your body is saying to you. Keep it up! you truly are a rock star!

Melissa-D said...

I'm glad you tried it out!! It takes time to get down, but I know you can do it! I'll have to join you sometime so you'll have someone to laugh at...ME! :)

Lindsay said...

Was the biology teacher Mrs. Ishee?? or Mrs... Guh-something - skinny, blondish curly hair, said she found gum in her kid's pooh one time?? Bio 1 honors teacher... Damn! I can't remember her name!! I bet Ingrid would remember. Hmmm...

Anyhow - I felt the same way during my first yoga class. Now I'm addicted. You went to the class at the gym, yes? (Bally's/24hr) It's a tough room. I have a strong preference for a yoga studio class personally. Less intimidating, better attention to your needs, less people, mats and floors smell like lavender. Just sayin.
I know a good studio in the Woodlands if you're interested!

rock on, sistah!

to dream the KIMpossible dream said...

Mrs. Vandiver, only she had lost a bunch of weight and cut her hair, so I didn't recognize her at first. She also got divorced and remarried, so she has a different last name now.

Yep...it was the class at 24hr. I'm gonna stick with them for now, but I do have some friends up in The Woodlands, so maybe once I get a bit more comfortable I might just take you up on finding out about that studio! =)

Chellers said...

Kim, I've been meaning to comment on how incredibly impressed I am by you and your weight loss journey. I've struggled like CRAZY to lose weight after each baby I have (two and one on the way now) and I know how hard it is to stay motivated to eat well and exercise. I also started running to lose weight and found it helped tremendously---especially to have a goal of a race that scared me. I did a couple of sprint distance triathlons, which was nice because of the variety of exercise and training involved. You should look some up! I suck at swimming, but it's never a long distance, so you can totally do it.

I also want to say how much I feel yoga helps your body. In physical ways---it's so good to do barefoot exercise for your feet and ligaments and all that, as well as the obvious stretching and toning, and it's so good for your mind. I don't do all the meditation and intensive stuff, but I find that taking the time out to practice yoga is so fulfilling mentally and physically. So, keep it up!!!! You'll find your favorite poses and your least favorites...that's ok. :-)

So, props to you from Los Angeles (where I can't BELIEVE I live now). I love hearing all about your experiences and I'm cheering you on in your continued health goals. Once this baby comes, I'll be back in that life routine again. I'm gonna need major motivation to lose this weight all over again. :-)

Lindsay said...

Im glad you tried it out the first yoga class I went to I was weirded out and totally got the giggles now i love it now though!