Monday, February 22, 2010

Are you ready for something different?


I've been growing out my hair for 3 years. At first I was doing it for Cathy's (older sister) wedding - so that my hair could have hope of looking half way decent. Then...on the horizon...a year and a half later there was Eddie's (brother) wedding, so I decided to continue Operation: Grow d' locks. Then...11 months later there was Linda's (younger sister) wedding, so why mess with the plan?!

Sure, I remembered the days of going to my long term stylist, Leena, and telling her to do "whatever" as I used to back in the day. I loved giving her free reign to do whatever suited her fancy. I mean she has been cutting my hair for over 12 years, so I totally trust her. BUT alas...something happened in the past 3 years...I became attached to the idea of becoming a Rapunzel (in my own right) and almost fearful of cutting my hair other than the required trim for maintenance purposes. It was almost like I was letting the length of my hair define me.

Saturday was different. On the way to Leena's salon, I made the decision to hand over the chi of creative license, once again. As I sat in the chair and she asked me if I was ready for something different (as she always does), I found myself tearing up as I told her yes. I actually got emotional at the thought of cutting my hair, y'all. I am so NOT that girl, so what gives?!

Well...I've marinated on it and then disected it and I figured out that it wasn't really the actual IDEA of getting more than a trim, but rather more what it represented...yet another step in the transformation. At this point, I've dropped almost 80 lbs, I've pushed myself to physical limits I never thought myself capable of with the whole running thing, and I'm fitting into a clothing size I haven't fit into since I was 14 or 15. The idea of a flattering haircut that would properly frame a face which is finally showing signs of having a bone structure...well, I suppose it's acceptable to make a girl a little emotional.

I kinda still want to cry, but only because I know I will NEVER be able to replicate the style Leena did on Saturday. Sometimes I wish I could bring her home with me and make her do my hair every morning.

Here are some pics!

A couple of weeks before my haircut:

After the haircut:


4 comments:

Bill H. said...

Love it!!

Anonymous said...

you are so cute it should be illegal.

Ginger said...

Oh, that is SO CUTE!!!! You look great!!!!

Melissa-D said...

I love it!!! I can't wait to see it in person!