Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Wedding Weekend Recap

I went to bed super late on Friday (shocker)...well maybe not super late by most people standards, but considering I seem to be burning the candle at both ends lately lets just say I needed sleep and I didn't get it.  So, at 11:30pm, I was in bed.  At midnight, my phone rang.  It was my dad.  Now, mind you...my parents were already in Scottsdale, so I was thinking he must have forgotten about the time change, but really he was prank calling or...um...butt dialing.  I tried calling him back to let him know the error of his ways, but he didn't answer, so I text him letting him know I was not amused and then I went back to sleep.  Flash forward 51 minutes when he woke me up AGAIN.  Same thing...another prank call...butt dial...whatever.  Thanks, Dad.  RAR!  I text him again that I was STILL NOT AMUSED and I meant it this time.  I then got smart and put my phone on silent.  Good thing I did, too, cuz I missed a call from Continental at 3:00am letting me know my flight was on time.  Way to be on top of your game, Continental.  Oye!

My alarm went off at 5:30am, and I was ready (er...sorta) to start my day.  Brother-in-law Craig (who was not going with us on this trip because he couldn't miss work on Monday) dropped off younger sister Linda at my house at 7:00am and then we picked up older sister Cathy and her hubby Jay at 7:15am and headed to the airport for our 9:00am flight. 

It was a 3 hour flight with a 2 hour time change.  We had some movie choices and/or tv options while on the flight, so Linda and I decided to watch 2 episodes Dexter, Season 4.  I love that show!  I need to finish the season so I can get started on Season 5!  Our brother Eddie and sister-in-law April picked us up in the rental car since they arrived an hour before us.
Eddie on the Trolley
Eddie and April took us to Walgreens so we could get movie snacks and some drinks.  Next, we headed to our hotel, The Hotel Valley Ho.  Linda, who once stayed at an element hotel, said it reminded her of that in decor.  Sort of a retro 60s swanky, green hotel.  We put our stuff in Eddie and April's room since our rooms weren't ready yet and went to find the free trolley that takes you into town.  As we were headed to town, our mom called and we found out she was hungry, so we explained to her how to get on the trolley and told her we would let her know where we decided to eat and then we would wait for her.  We picked The Grand Lux - our staple restaurant when we go to Vegas and since we aren't going to Vegas this year for our Thanksgiving celebration, it seemed appropriate.  We enjoyed our lunch and then parted ways with my mom and met double cousins Nicole and Danielle plus cousin Courtney at the movie theater to see The Social Network.  Have you seen it?  It's fantastic - totally recommend it! 

After the movie, we caught the trolley back to the hotel, got our keys to our respective rooms, moved out of Eddie and April's room and into our own.  The rooms were very nice and spacious and even offered a little patio/balcony area.  Linda and I really enjoyed our blue mood lighting above the bath tub.  Whenever she got mad at me, she would flip the switch to turn it off saying I didn't deserve it.  =(

I then headed to the pool to socialize with some extended family for a bit before it was time to get ready for the rehearsal dinner.  We found out last minute that the rehearsal was to be a casual affair, but we had brought dresses, so we decided to dress up anyway.  We dined at Buca di Beppo.  We ate caesar salad, spaghetti bolognese, chicken piccata, and a trio of ice cream for dessert.  After dinner, a group of us went back to the hotel and had some more dessert cuz...um...that's how we roll.  I was VERY disappointed in my red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting because they were a sickly pale pink color with weird tasting butter frosting.  Total False Advertisement.  I stayed up way too late which was unfortunate because I had to wake up way too early for my 10-miler the next day.

After running my 10 miles and getting cleaned up, my family decided to go get breakfast.  We ended up back at the Grand Lux, but we had to go in 2 trips because all 8 of us didn't fit in the minivan.  We had a great time and then decided to head back to the hotel.  I had planned on swimming.  Since I didn't think it necessary to wait for my dad to make a second trip, I just decided to walk the mile back to the hotel.  My  mom thought this was crazy considering my 10 mile run, but honestly...sometimes it just feels better to move than to sit still, you know?!  So, Eddie, Linda, and I headed back.  We found out from Cathy that my parents basically pulled a stop, drop and roll on Cathy, Jay, and April - kinda shoving them out of the car as they paused at the hotel before heading out to the casino.  Once Eddie, Linda, and I got to the hotel, Cathy decided we should all go out and find Sprinkles to have a cupcake.  Guess where Sprinkles was located?  Yep...right where we came from - by the restaurant.  I said I wasn't walking back - it was HOT outside and I was tired, so Cathy asked if we would be willing to take the trolley and we agreed. 

Sprinkles was like a cupcake heaven.  Yum!  I ordered the chocolate marshmallow one.  It would have gone well with a nice tall glass of milk - too bad I didn't have one.  It was a bit rich...should have gotten the lemon one instead which was my initial reaction. 
chocolate marshmallow cupcake


my uncle walking his beautiful daughter down the aisle
Because of our cupcake adventure, we didn't have any time for the pool, so I got ready for the wedding.  The wedding was beautiful.  It was outside and in the shade.  There were fans and lemon water out for the guests.  The chairs were placed in a circle which was unique and worked really well.  My cousin looked absolutely beautiful!  They picked purple and lime green as their colors - classic car colors.  One of the surprises of the wedding was that her aunt on her dad's side officiated the ceremony.  She did an excellent job!  The bride's brother, also my cousin, sang an Elvis Presley song during the ceremony.  He is sooo talented.
they did unity sand instead of a unity candle


After the wedding, we headed to the pool for a cocktail hour with hor dourves. 
family pic (minus Craig)



sisters!
Then came the reception on top of the hotel.  Oh was it beautiful - the night sky - white lights - amazing!  The food was fantastic, the cake was the best wedding cake (or any cake, honestly) I've ever had.  It was champagne cake with white chocolate mousse.  Yum!  My talented cousin sang his sister an original song he wrote to her and her new hubby.  It was so amazing!  Later, we danced the night away!  We had such a fun time!  After the reception, a group of us went downstairs to the restaurant for snacks and some drinks and just laughed and talked for hours.  Eventually, we went to bed.

On Monday, we had a continental breakfast in my aunt and uncle's suite and then we flew home.

I love family events!  Next trip is Chicago in mid November for my annual management meetings - this is also a family affair since I work for the family biz!

2 comments:

Melting Candy said...

Your family sure knows how to have fun (=

Marshmallow cupcake huh, you had me at marshmallow!

Melissa-D said...

her wedding dress is beautiful! I love weddings!