You know what is frustrating? It's my lack of energy. I read so many articles on fueling while racing. I read so much about proper hydration. I read, but I don't practice these things. I think that's what kills me in running AND recovery. I did those 10 miles on Sunday and then I haven't done anything since. This isn't good for several reasons.
First of all...um...HELLO...I have a marathon in 3 1/2 months.
Second of all...I have a goal of 85 miles for this month and I'm only 1/4 of the way there with half the month left.
Third of all...I need my muscles ready for the next big run (11 miles) and the only way to get them prepared is for their homework to be complete. You see...my weekly runs are sort of like homework for my long runs, if that makes sense.
I know part of my problem is that when I fly I retain water (still dealing with that issue, by the way). I know another problem is that my left knee is bothering me on and off (rar!). I'm not quite sure what's going on there, but I'm thinking it's best to not run on it tonight (as was my plan). I know yet another little issue is that I get a wee bit discouraged when I realize how difficult it is for me to complete bigger week day runs than 3 or 4 miles a pop considering how long it takes me to run a mile. When I read tweets or blogs from faster runners who finish their 10 miles in 1 hour and 10 minutes knowing full well it took me almost twice that time to do my 10 miles, it leaves me feeling a tad bit inadequate and disenchanted. I know it isn't a fair comparison, but it's the head game I play.
I guess what it boils down to is that I want to be as prepared as possible for this race, but I don't really feel like I'm doing my part.
So, what to do, what to do?
I went to Academy during my lunch break to peruse the options for fueling. I bring with me Clif's Shot Bloks on my long runs, but I don't always remember to use them. Hmmm...nice consistency, huh?! So, I bought some Larabars and my plan for this Saturday's run is to have a Clif's Shot Blok and a Larabar on hand. I'm not opposed to eating both if that's what gets me through my run feeling all energized and whatnot. I was majorly lagging the last 2 miles of Sunday's run which I chalk up to improper hydration and improper fueling.
I need to drink even when I don't think I'm thirsty. My problem isn't that I hate water. On the contrary, as I've mentioned before...I primarily drink water. I order iced tea in restaurants, I drink a glass of milk a day, I very rarely partake in a diet soda (probably not even one a week), I drink Powerade Zero during and after my long runs, and the rest of my life I drink water. So, what's the problem? I have been known to go the entire day - including all meals - without drinking a drop. Nice, huh?! BAD KIM! It's a tough habit to break. I'm not that bad anymore, but it is a struggle to remember to drink and then to keep drinking.
I need to eat even when I don't think I'm hungry (while running and immediately following my runs). Clearly, in general, I have no issue with eating any other time in my life. =\
What do you do for fueling during your runs?
How do you stay properly hydrated?

3 comments:
I'm the worst at fueling. (I'm a VIKING when it comes to refueling...bring it on) I read that so many of y'all eat before your long runs, or even before your short runs. Me? Never. Oh I might have 3 or 4 candy corns these days, but usually nothing. Really tho?
I've got a lesson to learn too. You'll figure out what works for you!
I'm terrible about fueling along the way too. For yesterdays 18miler I really focused on fueling. Had oatmeal before then a GU at mile 4 and 8. At mile 12 I ate 1/2 a pbj sandwhich, and another GU at mile 15. I usually only GU once, I noticed a HUGE improvement in my energy level with the extra.
I threw up for a few marathons before I finally got a good plan together. It's not perfect & sometimes I still get the "ehhhh" in my stomach, but it's better than puking! I gave up on all the specialty running foods & just do regular food. Sometime a PB&J, sometimes peanut M&M's, sometimes candy, sometimes pretzels or Melba toast. I eat lots of peanut butter crackers (they even sell them in a 4 pack size which is perfect for a fuel belt pouch). I suggest people eat anything they can keep down & that sounds appealing to them while running (sweet, salty, crunchy, etc). I like to do a variety of things. Also- does the powerade zero have calories? You might try switching to something that has calories, electrolytes & sugar as another way to get needed calories & energy. Hope your knee feels better!
Post a Comment