Monday, October 4, 2010

proud planner

I'm practically a girl scout cuz I'm so prepared.  Oh wait...are girl scouts well prepared or is that what the boy scouts are known for?  I get confused...It's cuz I'm an Aggie and because I was born blondish baldish.  It happens.

I'm not much of a planner, so this is a BIG deal.  Saturday is my 10 miler.  Well, Saturday should be my 10 miler, but alas...I'm flying to Scottsale, AZ for my cousin Rachel's wedding.  This makes running 10 miles out of the question since my flight is at 9am and there is no way I'm getting up THAT early to run 10 miles in enough time to get myself on a plane by 9am.  This means I will have to do my 10 on Sunday morning...in Scottsdale...in unfamiliar territory...in unfamiliar weather conditions.  Sure, it will no doubt be hot and I know hot, but it will be dry.  What the heck is that?  I only know humid.  This concerns me a little bit...especially considering my hydration issues, so I'm going to be very careful.

Anyway, back to my planning...So, I decided to look at the area of our very cool swanky hotel (which will no doubt be discussed further in my post wedding weekend blog) to see if there are any parks nearby.  Yes, there are!  There are at least 3 parks within a 2 to 3 mile radius - gotta love the West coast!  I found the perfect one called Eldorado Park - it's about 2.1 miles from the hotel and it has a 5K course inside the park.  So, let's do the math - 2.1 miles to the park + 2x5K + 2.1 miles back to the hotel = 10.4 miles = PERFECT!  A park is exactly what I was hoping for because it means restrooms, water fountains, people, and safe running.  I also think it's just plain fun to run in a new place - adding a bit of excitement to something that can get a bit monotonous if you don't shake it up a bit. 

So, look at that - a plan of action for foreign territory running - who is this girl that stares back at me when I look in the mirror???

A runner?  A planner?  Both ideas are just plain cRaZy, but they just may fit the profile...

2 comments:

Melissa-D said...

How awesome that there is a great park right there for you!? I can't wait to hear about how much you rocked the 10 miles!!

That Pink Girl said...

So perfect! Way to go planning out a great route even on vacay. That's commitment!!!