I made a decision BEFORE I raced my half marathon that when I finished it (starting today, Monday, 10/25), I was going back to South Beach, Phase 1 for two weeks.
Question #1: Why wait until after my half? Well...I don't know how a lack of bread or fruit carbs is going to affect my body during intensive exercise. I was unwilling to risk a possible negative effect on a race of that magnitude (or...a race at all, for that matter). I am willing to risk it for a long Saturday training run.
Question #2: Why is it necessary to take the step backward at this point in the game? Well I've been quite stagnant in my weight loss for a LONG time now. I've also found myself eating way more than is necessary and even eating off of my diet plan (during non special occasions) using that age old excuse that "I've earned it because of the running". This is a dangerous game to play, by the way. I've been having big time cravings for the sugar and more often than I care to admit, I've caved into the cravings. I don't need to be eating that junk. This leads me to the decision to remove the cravings which means returning to the basics.
Question #3: How can I handle running without carbs? Naturally carbs exist in most food that we eat, so I'm not opting to have a meal plan without carbs for a 2 week period, but rather I'm limiting where the carbs are coming from. I can fuel before my runs with a protein shake, eggs, and/or Canadian bacon (as an example). I can fuel during my long runs with string cheese, nut butters, and/or nuts. I will eat veggies (which have carbs) with each meal. I will consume dairy products (which have carbs) with each meal. Where there is a will, my friends, there is a way.
Question #4: Won't it be hard to go back to Phase 1 after having been on Phase 2 for well over a year? Yes, it will be hard. Isn't that the point? For so long when it felt like everything else was spinning out of control in my life, I was able to control my food. I don't feel like I have that control over my food anymore. I'm taking back the control.
I'm still a good 50 to 65 lbs heavier than I need to be. I think sometimes it gets frustrating to know that I've worked hard for over a year to lose over 100 lbs just to know that isn't good enough or long enough. I then find myself letting that frustration get the best of me. I started a journey back on July 6th of 2009. It was not a mission I took lightly and it is not one that I will quit. It is a life long journey. There will be hills, there will be valleys...I am the constant and I am strong. I can do this. I will do this.
Phase 1 recipes coming soon!
4 comments:
You look awesome my friend. I'm proud of you for taking such good care of yourself. You are an inspiration to me, and you might need to help me lose this baby weight! :)
Good for you taking charge of your own diet. People asking if you'll be carb free is like people asking me, a vegetarian, how do you get protein??? Hey, if you are eating healthy, you are going to get what you need!
My hat is off to you. Good luck!
I completely agree with That Pink Girls comment. Its the same dang thing. I find it funny that people who don't even run have such an opinion on what a runner should eat before a race. geez!! *and venting done*
anyhow, I think you're doing the right thing for you. Only you can decide what works best for you.
I completely agree with That Pink Girls comment. Its the same dang thing. I find it funny that people who don't even run have such an opinion on what a runner should eat before a race. geez!! *and venting done*
anyhow, I think you're doing the right thing for you. Only you can decide what works best for you.
Post a Comment