Saturday, October 30, 2010

3 months - Eeeek! (I GOT THIS!)

3 months, my friends...3 months until I set forth to do the most challenging event of my life thus far - the Houston Chevron Marathon.  So many questions fill my head - will I be ready?  will I be able to finish?  will I be able to finish in 6 hours?  Then I tell those questions to go fishin' cuz I don't want to have negative thoughts filling my head right now.  It has been said (by several people) that I am my own worst enemy.  I believe this to be true, but I don't want this to be me anymore.  Does that make sense?  Instead of the "will I?" or "can I?" or "what if?" questions that I've been occupying my time with, I want to run with the notion of I GOT THIS!

You see, I could totally go all Negative Nelly on myself today for my 12 miler that wasn't, but I'm not.  You know why?  It's cuz I listened to Kenny Rogers and I knew when to "fold 'em" and that is far different than the Kim of days gone by.  If you haven't caught wind through my Facebook posts or my Tweets, I've been nursing an injury I got from my half marathon (that wasn't) last weekend.  I got a massage, I've taken Epsom salt baths every night, I've foam rolled, I've popped Advil Liqui-Gels, I've Bio-Freezed, and I've even sat on a sock filled with 3 tennis balls in the hopes of fixing myself prior to today's run.  I know that I did everything I could, but my body was not healed.  I probably should not have ran at all, but I'm going to be proud of the 7 I did do and I'm going to be proud of the fact that I called it quits when my body screamed "NO MORE!"

On a fun note, at family lunch today, I felt like I had gone trick-or-treating as my mom gave me a pumpkin filled with all kinds of goodies.  I got a Carmel Apple soap from Bath & Body Works, a Nutmeg Cream candle, a can of almonds, a coupon for Kohl's, and a gift card for the movie theater.  She's such a thoughtful mom!!!

On a parting note, I have been blessed with some truly amazing friends.  Laura may live in Tallahassee, but thanks to Facebook, we are ever present in one another's lives.  She is always so encouraging and positive and somehow knows just what to say when I need to hear it.  Laura sent me an incredible email last night with two videos that I'm going to post here.  She explained that there are others who experience set backs and disappointments, but that it is not over.  She asked where I will be in 6 years...  She's such a thoughtful friend!!!  Please take the time to watch these videos as they are truly uplifting (and rather emotional - I cried watching both)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWYRH5jnQBo

and then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRIwJwbxBQ4&NR=1

Have a Happy Weekend and a Happy Halloween!

2 comments:

That Pink Girl said...

When I saw it was Dan Jansen I though, "Have mercy, I'm gonna cry for sure." Whew, thankfully it was short and got to the happy part right away! That IS a great story and a good focus.

Sometimes we get so INSIDE our struggles that we can't see the other side. That side might be next week, next year or 6 years from now. One thing I know, He has us safely in his arms the whole time. He knew you would be injured before you ever started running. He knows about all our struggles. And like me tearing up at the Dan Jansen story, He weeps with us, He is sad for us when we fall or when are struggle.

He wants good things for us. Isn't that a lovely image though? God is on OUR side, we are His children. He loves your hip and He wants it to be better! Oh, I'm rambling. Me and God BOTH want to see you up and running healthy!!!

Melissa-D said...

You DO have it...I have full confidence that you will do great in January, and I can't wait to cheer you on!