Saturday, August 7, 2010

Most Humid Day EVER!

Don't think me a nit-wit, but while listening to the news the other morning, I discovered that when your favorite bearer of bad news (read:  weather reporter) is discussing the horrid heat index, they are talking about the heat IN THE SHADE.  Jiminy Cricket...when Casey Curry is talking 112 degrees IN THE SHADE, what must it be like in the sun?!

Oh how I long for the fall which is more like normal people summer.  Then how I will long for the winter which is more like normal people fall.  Relief, I cry!  Relief!  Why oh why did I decide to take up an outdoor activity?  Oh I know what you are thinking...I could run on the treadmill...NO, I really can't.  I mean not for any great distance.  It's okay for up to 3 miles and then after that it truly is dreadful and it's also misleading to my body because pounding pavement is a harder workout and I'd rather do the harder workout since there will be no rubbery moving belt on the marathon course.

In Chicago, my aunt, uncle, and cousins belong to a gym with an indoor track.  I understand that the winters ARE brutal and that is why indoor tracks are necessary.  Houston gym's should take note that the summers ARE brutal and that indoor tracks would be much appreciated.  What a huge selling point!

Okay, so onto my first marathon training session...I loved it!  Well not all of it.  It was THE MOST HUMID DAY EVER!  I'm not kidding.  I've run in humidity - many, many a humid mornings and this was definitely THE MOST HUMID DAY EVER!  It was hard to breathe out there, y'all!  Yeah, yeah...enough of my whining.  We met at the park bench at 6:30am.  I was proud of me because I got there early - purposely so that I could visit with peeps.  Everyone is so nice - I love that!  Apparently, they are changing things up this year which really doesn't mean much to me since this is my first year training with them.  We are going to run our mileage, then our last mile is timed - I don't think it will be timed every week, but rather intermittently so that we can get an idea of improvement.  Every week, however, we will be logging our weekly mileage onto a clipboard - we are being tracked.  This is cool, though, cuz it's another factor of accountability.

Today we were scheduled for 3 miles, so we did 1 full lap at the park - 1.25 miles and then 3/5 of a second lap - 0.75 miles for a total of 2 before we did our timed final mile.  I clocked my last mile at 12:50.  Not bad for me...keep in mind, I'm slow.  My mentor is our main coach and he jogged with us the first lap and provided those of us who need his coaching/mentoring with tips.  He told me to ease up (I was going too fast initially and my Garmin agreed) and to concentrate on a shorter stride and to use my arms more.  During the last mile, I specifically paid attention to the arm part and I really did notice a difference.

My goal is to run 9 miles throughout the week before next Saturday's 4 miler.  I would also like to do some elliptical and bike work at the gym 3 mornings.  What exercise goals do you have for the week?

5 comments:

Melissa-D said...

What!?!? The heat index is measured as to what it feels like in the shade!!!?!?!?? I did not know this! Wow...I need to move up north! Ha. I'm glad your first training session went well. It sounds like a great group for you!

Anonymous said...

Exposure to full sunshine can increase heat index values by up to 15°F (8°C). Also, strong winds, particularly with very hot, dry air, can be extremely hazardous as the wind adds heat to the body.

siberiankiss said...

Oh my it was soooo humid yesterday morning. I walked out at 5:20 am and it was like a wall of grossness. I did my first brick this morning though. 21 mile ride, with some speed work on the second half and then a 30 min run. It was surprisingly amazing!

Allie said...

I'm putting together a blogroll and I just realized that your feeds aren't working for my reader. Do you know what's up with that? I haven't been commenting bc I didn't know you were posting. Now I have catch up to do. Hope all is well. :)

Court said...

Chicago winters don't seem so rough now, do they???