Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Back to Basics

For the past 7 weeks, I haven't lost any weight.  I *totally* haven't deserved to lose any, mind you.  With the exception of this past week, I didn't gain any either, so I'm pretty proud of that.  I figure I will be an expert at maintenance when I get there.  =D  So what happened in general?  Stress happened.  I stuck to my diet plan - following The South Beach diet - BUT I have definitely eaten more than my fair share of calories.  I also have relied mostly on eating out as opposed to preparing my own food because of my additional work hours and lack of energy once I am home.  So what happened this past week...well I was CARBO-LOADING for one.  haha!  Secondly, I was tremendously stressed with work and with the upcoming race, so comforting myself with food - albeit South Beach acceptably, but not in the right quantities and not the right mix (in other words not enough veggies and definitely too many carbs).  Finally...my body is strongly objecting to my half marathon.  I went for my massage yesterday, and Sarah (super massage therapist and awesome friend) reported that my legs are VERY inflamed right now - this means some water retention is going on, folks. 

So, post massage last night, I went to the grocery store and bought cucumbers, celery, a package of colored peppers, bananas, blueberries, a bag of baby spinach, grape tomatoes, avocados, 96% lean beef, greek yogurt, my Kroger brand Carb Master yogurt, and some mini Baby Bell light cheese.

During my lunch break, I will hit up Walmart for the rest of my grocery needs.

Oh, I read an article recently that discussed the importance of eating your water (versus just drinking it).  That's why veggies are so important!!!  They have tons of water in them (source here) - specifically cucumbers and tomatoes (both 97% water) and zucchini (95% water). 

Here is my meal plan for today:

Breakfast
Kroger Brand Carb Master yogurt
banana
Bobo's Oat Bar

Lunch
reduced sodium Deli-Select turkey
low carb pita
hummus
celery
cucumbers
mini Baby Bell cheese

Dinner
taco salad
    taco meat
    baby spinach
    avocado
    grape tomatoes
    black beans
    black olives
    reduced fat mexi-blend cheese
    greek yogurt
    salsa

Dessert
    blueberries

I will add back in exercise as soon as my body isn't sore...starting off with lower impact cardio like the exercise bike and the elliptical.  Full Marathon training begins on Saturday with a 3-mile run.  What's 3 miles?!  ;)

How's your eating going?  Do you write down what you eat or wing it?  Do you follow a specific diet plan? 

1 comment:

Melissa-D said...

3 miles is chump-miles...you are a master half-marathoner! : ) It will be a good rest run though, so I'm glad it's short! Ps. You are still super amazing, and I will not be happy until I can see you and your
medal in person my friend!! : )