Wednesday, August 4, 2010

it's GOAL time...

you know...instead of SHOW time...

So, I've been thinking that I really need to shave at least 24 minutes (and 39 seconds) from my half marathon time for the next one coming up on October 24th.

How do I plan on doing that?  Well...let's see...I have a plan, of course!

First of all, I want to shed 15 lbs before my race - I feel this is TOTALLY achievable since I have 11 1/2 weeks to do it AND killah willpower AND mega motivation AND some mad skillz.  I can do this through diet and exercise.  I will be sticking with my South Beach roots all the while watching the ol' portion sizes and making sure I'm eating plenty of veggies.  As for the exercise, I will be doing a blend of running and cross training - hoping to focus on cross training in the morning and incorporate running in the evenings 3 times per week (in addition to my long run on Saturdays).

Secondly, I now have the benefit of belonging to a running group.  I really feel like this is going to give me the the support, group comraderie, and accountability that was lacking in my solo runs.  I'm turbo excited about this.

Third, I will have home-town advantage this time around.

Fourth, I will have experience behind my belt.

Finally, I am going to properly stretch before and after each activity EVERY TIME no matter what!

Having a goal is key - it keeps you on your toes mentally and physically!  What kinds of goals have you set recently and more importantly, how will you reward yourself when you reach them?

1 comment:

Melissa-D said...

These days - my goal is to be able to bend over to tie my shoe! : ) Hee hee...hopefully I won't have that problem once baby-d is here! Ha.