I kinda feel silly discussing a fashion show with you when I don't have any pictures of the actual event. It was a spontaneous fashion show of sorts...and it was the product of my mom and older sister Cathy's joint shopping extravaganza. You see, Cathy was grieving the loss of her dog, Rocky (RIP) on Friday and my mom invited Cathy to lunch to comfort her. Somehow lunch lead to a shopping spree where the two of them decided to do their part to help some wardrobe dilemmas younger sister Linda and I were having relating to our Labor Day weekend get-away to Chicago. We have a specific event we are attending - a surprise birthday party for my grandmother - and we have been struggling to find something to wear. You know how it works. You can find a million cute things when you don't need them and then the minute you need something...
I had actually ordered this really cute number from Macy's a week or so ago (but in pink). I was uber excited about receiving it, only when I did...well...let's just say I looked like a circus act. I even tried it on at work and came out of the bathroom humming a circus theme song while pretending to carry some balloons in one hand and cotton candy in the other - it was like that. I guess it should make me feel good knowing it was a 1X and ridiculously big on me, but really it made me want to cry because that meant I would have to actually go shopping and I hate shopping.
I was told to pick-up some rotisserie chickens on my way home from work, but then I reminded them that I had to also stop at my house to feed and water my dogs. The masses (my mom, Cathy, Jay, and Linda) were growing more and more impatient). Turns out my dad actually beat me home, too, and I left work before him. Ooops! So once I got to the house, Linda quickly tried on her two dresses for me - she looked great in both of them! Apparently I missed the one that would have made her look like a call girl (that's the nice way of wording it). That dress is being returned. I suppose there are some ...um... shortcomings to having a midget momma (okay, okay...she is not really a midget...er...little person, but she sure is petite) and a shorter older sister. When they held up the dress to themselves, they thought it looked normal length. Not so much. Anyway, Linda didn't stay for my fashion show or for dinner because she was tired. Whatever. =P
We all sat down and ate rotisserie chicken, brown rice, and veggies. It was an impromptu family dinner and I loved it! After dinner, my sister gave me one top and a skirt to try on. The skirt was a size too big, so I think they are going to exchange it for me. The top was perfect....I can totally wear it to work. Next they gave me another top. It was not something I would pick out for myself, but it was VERY flattering and I can also wear it to work. Then, I was handed this dress. It looked pretty, so I eagerly went to try it on. Understand this...most of my dresses are A-lined....fitted at the bust and then they flow out (my comfort zone). This dress is more of a fitted dress. I am not used to such thing. I came out and everyone thought it looked fantastic on me and they say I have to keep it and that I have to wear it. I also, apparently, have to get a stitch put in because it's a bit too low cut on me. I guess it's time to step out of my comfort zone and understand that I can get away with wearing things I never would have worn before. It's a good feeling...it's just weird.
Next, Cathy tried on the pants and shirts and skirt she found during their spree. She's gotten to tiny - so proud of her success!
You know what the best part of the whole night was? My mom and Cathy looking as pleased as punch with themselves for a job well done. That was priceless! =)


2 comments:
Fun! I love family fashion shows...and I can't wait to see your new threads!
YEA for the Fashion show!! I bet you look fantastic. Isn't it a great feeing realizing you look good in things you previously would have never worn? :) YEA!
Post a Comment