Friday, May 20, 2011

Zen-Kim

Oh what a week, my lovelies...what a week!

I've mentioned my profession before - I manage a moving company.  Guess what happens in the summer?  We get busy...like ridiculously busy...like hold on to your hats, party people, cuz it's about to get cRaZy up in here busy. 

I like it.

I thrive off of it.

Everybody has those few things in this world they are good at...their talents, if you will.  I'm good at my job.  I'm even better at it under pressure.

If I have too much time to do something...it doesn't get done until the last minute.  I'm a procrastinator, but not because I'm lazy.  Nope.  It's much deeper than that.  It's because my creative and productive juices flow freely when there are no other options.

I like it when my day flies by and I have that sense of accomplishment knowing I made a difference.

Here's the thing.  I can get pretty intense.  I can let the stresses get to me, the anxiety overwhelm me.  I can take my frustrations out on others and vent until people are tired of listening to my whining/complaints.

I don't want to be like that this summer.  I want to be calm and rational.  I don't want to sweat the small stuff.  I want to have a clear head to solve problems more...altruistically.  I realize that people vibe off of me.  If I demonstrate patience and peacefulness, others will follow suit. 

My parents left town on Wednesday and jokingly told me to stare at a picture of their dog to find my Zen-state.  No, I don't think Oliver truly gave me this inspiration.  I think the very idea of it just made me laugh.  My Zen-state is coming from within...perhaps it's maturity...perhaps it's wisdom...perhaps it's me realizing that my work is exhausting enough without adding all the unnecessary emotions.

I stayed at work super late last night finishing up some work.  While doing so, I was inspired to fill up my dry erase board with some encouragement/words of wisdom, etc for my employees to see this morning when they arrived at work.

I asked a question.

At the end of the day, can you say you have tried your best?

I answered it.

Yes - Congratulations...this is what it is all about!  Keep up the great work!!!  =)

No - What improvements can you make tomorrow to turn this around?  What lessons did you learn?

This doesn't have to be applied to my employees.  This can be applied to me...to you...to us all.  Isn't the name of the game just to try our best?  Sometimes we have an off day.  It happens.  We must pick up the pieces, learn the lesson, and move on.  Other days we have experienced accomplishment, bliss, freedom, happiness, etc...  Isn't the feeling of elation we get from those good days enough to make us work harder to recover from the bad?

I should hope so.  I know so.

After a whole week of practicing "responding" versus "reacting" to all the curve balls thrown my way, I can say that I am pleased with my efforts.  I feel empowered to take on the rest of the summer with the exact same zeal.

Hopefully Zen-Kim can remain for the entirety of the summer, just taking it all in stride.

Enjoy your weekend, I know I will.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job, Kimmie!
Going Zen is always a good idea. Keep blogging. I love to read them, though I sometimes lapse... :)

KC

Anonymous said...

Good luck staying Zen, I know how hard it can be! :)

That Pink Girl said...

Oliver looks pretty zen, that's for sure! Kim, I'm proud of you. Controlling how we react can be so hard, but only WE can control our attitude. Hard as that is sometimes!

The Turtle said...

I hope you have a very relaxing summer. Don't forget to leave work at work.

Happy Healthy Runner said...

Amen!! I think I read this at exactly the right time!