When things didn't work out between me and eHarmony, I decided to embark upon a new journey with Match.com. It's been interesting, to say the least. I may just have to share some of those stories another day. I realize it's not right to make fun of people. I also understand that posting this could lead to the further extension of my singledom, but I just can't help myself.
On Tuesday, a 27 year old guy "winked" at me on Match.com. Now my initial reaction was, "I am so not a cougar." My father and brother-in-law encouraged me to "wink" back informing me that I was not a cougar. Someone (I think it was older sister Cathy) told me the rules and it's something like as long as they are older than half your age plus 7, then you are in the clear. So, since I'm 33...as long as a guy is at least 25, all is well?! Whatever.
Anyway, so after my winkie winkie, he emailed me on the site and I emailed him back and then he gave me his phone number and wanted me to text him. Here we go again with the texting! I realize I sound like a 50+ year old not embracing our world's technology, but I just get sooooo annoyed with the relying on texting as the number one communicator in the initial dating stages. To me, texting is like a drive-thru versus a sit-down restaurant, if that makes any sense. People want to have entire conversations via texts and I don't get it. But alas...in typical Kim-fashion, I've digressed...so, I explained to him that it is difficult for me to text while at work, so I will text him once I get home. We will call him "Match.com guy" to protect his identity - MG for short, by the way.
So, this was our "convo".
Kim: Hey! It's Kim.
MG: Hey how r u
Kim: I'm good...glad to be home. How r u?
Yes, he left me hanging. I don't think I really cared because it wasn't like anything was truly established. I guess I just figured maybe he had hoped for some kind of less traditional response. Then...I just kinda forgot about him....until Wednesday NIGHT at 10:02 when he text me out of the blue.
MG: Hey how are u?
This time my turn to ignore. First of all, I was already in bed. Secondly...um...you never responded to my question from over 24 hours ago. Third of all, unless you know a person, it's kind of rude to text or call after 9.
Flash forward to the next morning around 8amish.
MG: Good morning kim how did u sleep?
Kim: Good morning! Was sleeping when you text last night...sorry! Slept okay...storm woke me around 2 am. How about u?
MG: Whoa what time do u go to bed usually?
Kim: Haha...depends...I had walked the dogs, then gone for a short run, then hit the gym...after my shower I realized I was exhausted and called it a night.
MG: Haha without saying hi to me hmmm
Kim: Awwww..... :(
MG: I know that's how I felt! :(
*Note...I don't say anything else cuz I wasn't sure if he was kidding or not, so a little while later...
MG: So tell me something I don't already know about u that I should know :)
Kim: Hmmm...I can't stand david hasselhoff...we are mortal enemies. Your turn!
MG: I love greek food
Kim: Mmmmmmm....hummus...
MG: Yes so do u date much n what r u looking for?
Kim: No...I don't date much. Looking to date...potential long term. U?
MG: Me too I need someone who will grab my attention
Kim: Been bored have ya?
MG: Yes I need someone to grab my attention.
*Note...I don't say anything else cuz...well he just repeated himself and now it's just kind of awkward. So a little while later...
MG: Sexy how's ur day going? (note: not a big fan of being called sexy by some dude who isn't already dating me)
Kim: It was going well until rue mcclanahan died. I feel slightly responsible...I just said something on sat about deaths happening in 3s and her being next. Weird. Ur day?
MG: My day is going well!
Kim: Well that's happy! :)
MG: Yup did u think of me today?
*Note...I don't say anything else cuz...well why would I think about him? I don't know him and really that's such a weird thing to ask someone you've only been texting for a couple of days. At 10:15pm, I get this...
MG: Hey sexyyyyyyy what r u doing?
*Note...he gets no response because....once again...I'm in bed...it's even later than the first time he text me after 10pm and got no response and I told him the next day I was already in bed NOT TO MENTION the whole sexy thing is really obnoxious AND I'm still creeped out about him wanting to know if I had been thinking about him. And then the next morning (Friday) I get this...
MG: Good morning sexy how r u
*Note...he gets no response. At 9:15pmish I get this...
MG: Hey how r u
*Note...he gets no response. Really, really hoping he would just buy a clue. No such luck. Sunday 12:32am...
MG: How was ur day?
Note: That one woke me up. I knew in the morning I would have to take care of this once and for all. So when I woke up at 7am on Sunday, I sent this...
Kim: Please stop texting me.
MG: Y I just got off of work I thought u wanted something more?
Kim: Not interested
MG: Haha that's funny cause u were but if u don't have commitment I wouldn't want u anyways good luck.
WHAT?! I guess I'm glad I finally told him to stop texting me or else I would have been text-message-married to him (in his eyes) by the end of the month with how quickly our "relationship" had been progressing. What a fruit loop!

5 comments:
I totally agree with you about texting. It is very inpersonal. If I were you, I would insist on speaking on the phone. Texting is too easy to send a few lines and stop. On a phone call you are committed to speaking with the person continuously until the call is over. That "hey sexy" thing is also obnoxious! Especially when you haven't even spoken let alone seen each other in person! Good for you tell him to hit the road!
omg. Kim. This dude is a loser.
1. he doesn't make sense in the last text and he said "haha" like it was all funny to him. big dork
2. the whole sexxxxxyyyy thing is out of control
3. how rude is he to text you like that late at night?
all of that was definitely a deal breaker. sheesh.
So sorry friend. The perfect guy for you is out there. He'll show up soon :)
Totally a fruit loop! I don't get the "sexy" thing at all. I may be a little old school, but I think it's a little disrespectful! Someone much better is right around the corner Kim!!
What a dumb-ass. I'm totally with you about no calls/texts late in the evening (unless it's a total ER issue).
I met my guy via yahoo personals 2 years ago. he's a huge texter, I'm a big fan of IM but when convos start to go all weird (me or him reading too much into them), I usually pick up the phone or chat face to face.
I draw the line at one-liner duds (yes, duds not dudes) because if you can't hold an online conversation, then you can't hold a telephone convo or face-to-face (I really hate talking on the phone and I'm not a big fan of texting) and I'm not about to carry an entire convo by myself cuz I could just talk to myself.
Wow, Sexy with that many "y's" AND he seemed okay with the "I might have killed Rue McClanahan" thing. Sounds like a keeper to me! Ha!
Post a Comment