Sunday, June 20, 2010

Family Fun!

I felt really guilty missing Mother's Day.  I was in Playa del Carmen for my vacation...ooops!  When I got back from the trip, I still had a few days off, so my mom and I celebrated our own special way - we went to lunch at Los Cucos and to see Disney's Oceans.

Now, it's Father's Day!  My dad picked out Perry's Steakhouse for lunch.  The funny thing is that there is one like 3 minutes away from my house, but it has a reputation for bad service, so whenever we go to Perry's, we caravan up to the one in The Woodlands.  I was glad he chose lunch because I don't like a heavy meal sitting in my stomach late at night.   I decided to start with the tomato mozzarella salad and to finish with the pork roast.  Well, to be fair...they call it a pork chop, but it's ridiculously huge - I should have taken a picture to prove it to you.  Oh...and in case you were wondering, I practically licked my plate clean.  I also had one forkful of mashed potatoes that younger sister Linda and her hubby Craig had ordered.  I haven't had mashed potatoes in 11 1/2 months.  They were creamy dreamy buttery wonderfulness, but alas...it was just a bite.

Friday was my other brother-in-law's birthday (Jay).  We always do a combo celebration for Father's  Day and Jay's bday, so my mom had Jay pick out the cake.  For the past few years, my mom has ordered all of our cakes from Rao's Bakery.  They have amazing cakes, y'all!  Jay picked out The Original Dobasche.  Here is the description:  This scrumptious cake is crafted of six layers of chocolate fudge cake and old fashion butter cake. Each layer filled with a special creamy rich custard and chocolate pudding. Then iced with a fudge icing and covered with walnuts. To top it off we add a poured on fudge iceing.A New Orleans Original.  Now, I had decided to partake in the dessert - just a small slice.  This is a big deal for me, though, because this is the first family dessert I have since I started South Beach.  I declined on the ice cream, though.  Let me just say...my slice of cake was a slice of heaven.  It was rich and sweet and just plain AWESOME!

After lunch, we went back to my parent's house to give Jay and my dad their gifts.  We hung out for a while and then we all parted ways. 

I just love hanging out with my family!  How was your weekend?

4 comments:

Tricia said...

drooling over that cake, yum!

Melissa-D said...

Yay for family fun!

Lindsay @ http://pancakesnpajamas.blogspot.com/ said...

So glad you were able to indulge in a bit of cake. I can only imagine the burst of awesomeness that came from that bite!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very fun family weekend. That cake looks amazing!